NaO II RS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting woofer setup. So are they 2 woofers and the u-frame tapered at the back?

And so why can't this be blocked as sealed as well. I thought this was a really nice feature which dipole frames can't do.

Regarding the look, it is less "industrial" than NaO II, but I personally dislike the side panels? Some Orion buildiers also trying to get away from it! Also the plain baffle seems to be acoustically more correct?

very interested in the woofer configuration. Will you have any info on your site?

It still follows the design concept for U-frames as on my web site.

NaO U-frame

Interesting woofer setup. So are they 2 woofers and the u-frame tapered at the back?

And so why can't this be blocked as sealed as well. I thought this was a really nice feature which dipole frames can't do.

Regarding the look, it is less "industrial" than NaO II, but I personally dislike the side panels? Some Orion builders also trying to get away from it! Also the plain baffle seems to be acoustically more correct?

Yes, still two woofers. The back could be blocked off but ultimately it [only] yields 6dB greater max SPL at 30 Hz. And the sealed woofer just doesn't sound as good.

If anyone prefers to build the older NaO II all they have to do is ask for that plan set. But from the feedback I have received so far I would say that they would be in the minority.

The side panels on the II RS are not very wide and have no significant impact on any aspect of the system performance. As you can see from the picture, the rear of the speaker remains very open. The side panels don't widen significantly until below the lower midrange driver. That, coupled with the removal of the braces and the slanted woofer enclosure opens up the rear considerably.

Ah- a tapered U-frame. Nice idea! I suppose the Note could also be done this way?

Better looking than the IIa I think. I always thought the 'stick' braces spoiled the appearance, even though they are perfectly sensible in engineering terms. Does tapering the frame mitigate or distribute the 1/4 wave resonance?

Last edited:
Yes the Note can be and will be done this way. The original woofer cabinets can be converted with a little effort and careful saw work.

The tapering doesn't seem to do much about the resonance. Slight change in frequency but just as high Q undamped. However, since the volume velocity is higher (rear opening is approximately = to the total Sd of the woofers) the damping is more effective and less stuffing seems to be required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.