• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Philips AG-9016 frequency range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to determine the frequency range of my ag-9016. it uses EL95 and ECC 83 tubes. From what i can find on the net, it can go as high as 20k hz but i can find the low end. Is it based on the tubes used? or the whole design in general. I'm a newb to tubes....

Thanks!

Well right now i have it hooked up to terrible speakers and they are all i have so it is hard for me to tell what the low end sounds like. At low volume, I can have the bass turned up about 3/4 on the tone controls and it sounds great whether i'm listening to the Beach Boys or electronic music. If i want any real volume the bass knob has to be about 1/4 to keep the speakers from eating themselves.

The reason I'd like to know is because I plan on building some efficient 2-ways for it. It would help in my choice for a driver.

Weep or not.
The really important thing is if YOU're satisfied with the sound.

For years I collected CD's like so many others; I selected them out of interest for the performer and from the numbers I'd heard on radio or TV.
What I bought sounded pretty good on my Solid-State stereo and I didn't really need anything better.
THEN I decided to build a tube-amp, just for the fun of it and to buy a couple of B&W book-shelf style speakers. Not absolutely top-notch but I imagined better than what I had which were vintage Pioneer HPM-900 and HPM-500. Well, the B&W's didn't sound much better on my Solid-State stereo so I was looking forward to the tube-project being finished.
When I finally finished building the amp (2C34/RK34-Push-Pull, 12W RMS, Stereo) and hooked it up to the new speakers I was in for a big surprice; The CD's sounded awfull. Well, SOME of them did and others (Like Eagles - Hell freezes over and Big Fat Snake - One Night in Sin) sounded like nothing I'd heard at home before. The music sounded like I was there on the stage with the orchestra. Bright, rich treble, natural vocals and the firm and potent Bass to match (12Watt, remember! Not a lot, but enough) Now 2/3 of my CD's aren't getting played anymore. I instantly hear the noise (hiss), lack of dynamics and dull vocals and I don't want to spend another minute with the record.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to experience anything like this with the AG-9016. The ECC83/EL95 combination is OK but it needs better output-transformers imo. ...AND you need sensitive speakers to live with less than 2W.

rgds,

/tri-comp

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.