capacitor value in talkbox build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
finally found a suitable driver for a diy talkbox build.

A monacor ku-516. It goes all the way from 160 Hz up to 6500 Hz

I know there is supposed to be a nonpolar cap wired in series with the driver, to protect it from lower frequencies. But 160hz is pretty low, so I guess the 50 UF cap used in other builds isn´t the perfect value?

I have no idea how to do the math on this one? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

-Kasper
I finally found a suitable driver for a diy talkbox build.

A monacor ku-516. It goes all the way from 160 Hz up to 6500 Hz

I know there is supposed to be a nonpolar cap wired in series with the driver, to protect it from lower frequencies. But 160hz is pretty low, so I guess the 50 UF cap used in other builds isn´t the perfect value?

I have no idea how to do the math on this one? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

-Kasper

Sorry for the weird double post...
By the way... It´s a 16 ohm speaker
You will feel the diaphragm hammering the phase plug in your mouth if the cap value is too low. I'd err on the high side to start, try 50 mfd, and if it sounds clean with the lower notes you play, you can add another 25 or 50 mfd.

An old friend used an RCA driver with no capacitor at all, it could take the output of his Fender Bassman at full tilt boogie, though he usually was not playing notes below 160 Hz.

Make sure all your dental work is in good shape, talk boxes can rattle your fillings out:D.

Art

Thanks for the replies...by the way. Will any kind of capacitor do, or should I go for a certain high quality mojo-component? Have never used capacitors like this before ( I mean wired directly to a speaker, it must have an impact on the sound?)
The capacitor (s) should be non-polar.
The sound of a talk box is by nature distorted and band limited, paying big bucks for a capacitor would be a waste of money.
The type, length of hose and it's connection to the driver will have far more impact on sound quality than the sonic difference between any functional non polar caps you could find.

Oil filled caps in high values like you need are often available cheap at surplus shops, and seem to last forever if not punctured.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.