Appropriate Chip Selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

actually i want to build a versatile guitar amplifier using eminence guvnor 75w speaker.
i want to build around max 30-35 w.
for the power section what chip you suggest?(like 3886 3875 etc ).
can u please refer any good schematic of the power supply?

i have found lots of crying for both 3886 and 3875 in different perspectives.
but you guys please suggest me in terms of guitar amplifier?

do you think 3886 /3875 are more than enough for 30/35w or the TDA chips will do?
what is the difference in producing quality sound for LM3886 types vs TDA 2030 types chips?(in terms of guitar power amp).

or instead i should go with discrete solid state(mk ii)??

please suggest your valuable experience from your DIY journey.
thanks

The preamp is where most of your tone is going to come from ....... All things being equal you probably couldn"t tell the differance in sound between differant chips when used as a guitar amp ......

I would worry more about building a versitile preamp that will suit your guitar style and has the features you need ......

A power supply for a chip amp can be pretty basic , as little as 3 components , a Bridge rectifier and 2 filter capacitors , you don"t even need a PCB .......

Cheers

The preamp is where most of your tone is going to come from ....... All things being equal you probably couldn"t tell the differance in sound between differant chips when used as a guitar amp ......

I would worry more about building a versitile preamp that will suit your guitar style and has the features you need ......

A power supply for a chip amp can be pretty basic , as little as 3 components , a Bridge rectifier and 2 filter capacitors , you don"t even need a PCB .......

Cheers

I think you nailed it on the head. From what I've read, pre-amp is more important for the tone and the amp is for the power.

Build a tube front preamp.

"Modern style distortion" is "preamp" distortion, the power stage runs clean.
So a 12A*7 type preamp with a SS power amp might sound decent.

Trying to make "Vintage power amp distortion" with chips would not sound so great, might even ruin your speakers when it clips.

Attachments

• johnny5-need-input.png
    johnny5-need-input.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.