• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300b at 3.35V after bridge replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I replaced the bridge rectifier in one of my 300b amps with some fast soft recovery controlled avalanche rectifier diodes I had on hand. The voltage has dropped to 3.35V from the normal 5.0V. It seems to work very nicely but with reduced gain. Any ideas as to fixing this? Does it hurt to run the 300b's at 3.5V or less?
During warm up, after a few mins. it did get a little louder, but not the way it used to be.
The tubes are TJ mesh plate golds.
Thanks in advance
Tom

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sounding very sweet though

I'm not surprised, you're starving the 300B which actually linearises the bottom end of the curves.

I'm tempted to do the other just to see what happens but if I get the same drop then what?

If you have a DVM, set it to lowest resistance and measure the series resistance of the diodes before you do the other channel.

Maybe you received the wrong kind of diodes?

If anything, I'd expected a slight rise in voltage, not a drop.

Cheers,;)

"If you have a DVM, set it to lowest resistance and measure the series resistance of the diodes before you do the other channel."

Could you clarify at which two points do I take the measurments?

Maybe as you say these diodes are not suitable for this application.
Is there any long term problem with using the 300b at 3.5V?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The Fast-Soft Recovery Diodes that I have come across have high forward voltage drop.

But of course, I forgot about that entirely...in HV sullies this doesn't really matter but at 5V it sure would.

Good of you to remind us of that.

Maybe as you say these diodes are not suitable for this application.

See D'Haen's reply...you're losing too much voltage.

Is there any long term problem with using the 300b at 3.5V?

Not a problem as such but it won't exactly be a 300B you're listening to...could be better, could be worse.

I'm not going to take side on this one....:goodbad:

Cheers,;)

I havn't shut this thing off since I did the mod. It keeps getting louder and louder and better and better. And it's in stages. Meaning during a song it will just get louder all at once.
Any ideas why?
I guess the diodes are braking in and passing more current.
I'm off to do the other one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.