I want to install a new woofer driver into my old broken speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current speakers are the AIWA SC-51. I recently fired one of woofer drive by my Gainclone. I hope to get some idea on fixing the speaker, cuz I don't want to waste the housing. Which low buget drive will you guys pefer? Can I buy the car's one and fit into the hole? I hope to find the stuffs I need in local Milpitas,CA. Will it be cheaper to just order it online? Is it nessery to change the tweeter too? Are they suppose to be cooperating to each other?

Ok,
first, the size of the box: X:210mm , Y:330mm , Z:220mm
second, the circle hole diameter is 145mm + the screw place 10mm = 155mm. ( If I just measure the woofer is 160mm and about 70-75 depth)
Third, the specification of that woofer drive: Imp-8 Ohm, Max-35W , Min-10W. ( but box label said Music POWER 35W, NORMAL POWER 25W 8Ohm) I don't have the sensitive thou.

Anyone know chinese what this mean? Simipify Chinese ÊÊÓ¦¹¦ÂÊ20-80Íß

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SC:

I would disagree slightly with Navin. I am trying to figure out how your enclosure is constructed, in order to figure out if the speakers Navin recommended will work well in the box. So far, assuming ½" building material, we know that the interior volume of the box is 0.4 Ft³, or 11 liters.

If you can tell me if there is a hole in the box, (which your picture seems to indicate there is), the diameter of the hole, and the length of any ducts behind the hole, the picture will become much clearer if Navin's recommended speakers are a good idea.

The hole and duct tune the box to a certain frequency, you see. The volume of the box, which you have given us, provides us with important information which, when combined with the information about the port, can draw a clearer picture about how well your speaker will work in this box.

By the way, Tangband speakers are available at Parts Express for very good prices.

www.partsexpress.com

Sorry, kelticwizard. Since my English ain't that good, I really don't understand what you mean by ducts. I know it mean some sorce of tunnel or something by using dictionary, but what is it apply to speaker? The XYZ Volume of the hole? The wire? I already took out the drive so there is definitely a hole. :confused:

Joined 2001
SC:

There are two basic ways to build speaker enclosures.

One way is to put it in a closed box. There are no openings in this box except the cut outs for the speakers. This is a good way to build a speaker enclosure.

The second good way is to put a hole, or vent, in the speaker box. This hole, or vent, can be from one inch to four inch diameter or more, and there can be two of them as well. Believe it or not, this changes the way the speaker plays.

This vent will frequently have a pipe or tube behind it. That is to say, inside the box will be a plastic pipe, connected to one of the walls that is open to the outside.

If you have this type of speaker, what is the diameter of the hole, and what is the length of the pipe?

The pipe can also be an unusual shape besides round. I have an Aiwa speaker that has two half-moon shaped vents. But please tell me if you have a vent or pipe at all in your speaker, or the only holes in it are for where the speakers go into.

A vented or ported speaker is illustrated below. It has a big speaker, (woofer), a small speaker, (tweeter), and a vent. The dark green thing is the vent, pipe or "duct" I was talking about. Do you have anything like that?

The vent-or opening, can also be in the back. It makes no difference if it is. Many speakers are built with the vent in the back.

Attachments

• ported speaker picture.gif
    ported speaker picture.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 240
Joined 2001
SC:

Very good. Just one more question. That 60 mm measurement-is that including the 7 mm trim ring around the outside housing of the cabinet?

What I am looking for is the inside dimensions of the pipe. You can approximate if you want-you don't have to give me the exact measurement. Just a good idea of how large the inside dimension of the pipe is. For instance, if that 60 mm includes the measurement of the trim ring, then the inside diameter of the pipe is 60mm -14 mm = 46 mm, which will change things.

We already know the length of the pipe is 100-110 mm. All I need now is the insided dimensions of the pipe. :)

Joined 2001
SC:

Very good. Your cabinet is 0.4 Ft³, or 11 liters. Your vent tunes the box to 59 Hz.

I know these numbers do not mean anything to you, but they enable us to check which woofer is likely to be effective in your box.

Will return later today. If someone wants to jump right in with a suggestion for a 6½" inch speaker suitable for an 11 liter box tuned to 59 Hz, please go right ahead. :)

kelticwizard said:
I would disagree slightly with Navin. I am trying to figure out how your enclosure is constructed, in order to figure out if the speakers Navin recommended will work well in the box. So far, assuming ½" building material, we know that the interior volume of the box is 0.4 Ft³, or 11 liters. If you can tell me if there is a hole in the box...............
www.partsexpress.com

i agree with this but there are 2 reasons i did not wanna get compliacted.

a) if the bass was found to be underdamped then w could always plug the hole with open cell foam

b) we are talking about a small system here with a fixed box size. we have no way of knowing the accurate T/S parameters of the replacement woofer. sealed boxes are more toleratant of differences in T/S parameters.

BTW the Dayton woofer is a 6.5" woofer might be a bit too big.

Joined 2001
S.C said:
Ok,
first, the size of the box: X:210mm , Y:330mm , Z:220mm
second, the circle hole diameter is 145mm + the screw place 10mm = 155mm. ( If I just measure the woofer is 160mm and about 70-75 depth).....

.....Anyone know chinese what this mean? Simipify Chinese ÊÊÓ¦¹¦ÂÊ20-80Íß

Navin:

160 mm » 6½ in. The screw holes are about 5 in or so apart.

It's true that there is no guarantee the Thiele-Small parameters will be the same as those listed, but Dayton is a pretty good brand, so I figured it was even-steven that they would be close. With no measuring equipment, what else do we have to go on? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.