Double-Till Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Done!

These MA Double-Tills were a very fun build using first generation Mark Audio CHR-70s wired in series -- 8 ohms per speaker. The baffle edge of the sides were chamfered 45 degrees like the P-10 flat pacs and the boxes were lined with CCS acoustic denim lining.

This is my second speaker project where I did all the milling of the 1/2" birch and the first where I had learned to use a flush-bit router to trim the edges. The finish was 3 coats oil-based polyurethane

They sound great and are much more dynamic than I would have expected. I'm once again VERY impressed with the value of Mark Audio drivers...it's hard to believe that 4x $36 drivers and a sheet of birch could sound this fantastic!

A few of these photos were taken today with a new digital camera and a few were taken months ago with a cellphone when the build was completed. Figuring out the new digital camera was the worst part of the project and caused a few months of procrastination between completion and today's post.

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries during the build!

Mario

Attachments

• P1100031.jpg
    P1100031.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 255
  • P1100030.jpg
    P1100030.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 242
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 244
  • GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 244
Done!

These MA Double-Tills were a very fun build using first generation Mark Audio CHR-70s wired in series -- 8 ohms per speaker. The baffle edge of the sides were chamfered 45 degrees like the P-10 flat pacs and the boxes were lined with CCS acoustic denim lining.

This is my second speaker project where I did all the milling of the 1/2" birch and the first where I had learned to use a flush-bit router to trim the edges. The finish was 3 coats oil-based polyurethane

They sound great and are much more dynamic than I would have expected. I'm once again VERY impressed with the value of Mark Audio drivers...it's hard to believe that 4x $36 drivers and a sheet of birch could sound this fantastic!

A few of these photos were taken today with a new digital camera and a few were taken months ago with a cellphone when the build was completed. Figuring out the new digital camera was the worst part of the project and caused a few months of procrastination between completion and today's post.

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries during the build!

Mario

I see a pattern here .....

nice work Mario

The old Mark Audio website had the plans, but the brand-new website's "plans" page doesn't yet seem to be populated. Maybe a search of this forum would bring them up.

they gotta be cached somewhere, but with Mark in New Zealand for a few more weeks, catching up on website maintenance could be an exercise in patience for everyone

fortunately, along with goodwill towards all, that's a character trait universally shared by DIYers

there's your joke right there, so now it's back to the regular crap .....

Zman,
I'll check this evening to see if I still have a hard copy of the plans. If you're chomping at the bit to start the build, I could probably get them scanned into pdf over the weekend and email to you. I'll post back this evening if I've found them and we'll go from there,
Mario

Zman,
I'll check this evening to see if I still have a hard copy of the plans. If you're chomping at the bit to start the build, I could probably get them scanned into pdf over the weekend and email to you. I'll post back this evening if I've found them and we'll go from there,
Mario

Mario,

No hurries - got plenty of time. :) Don't trouble yourself on this - if I build another speaker soon I'm going to blow my WAF credits big time. :D

Congrats on your build.

-Zia

Regarding WAF I understand...my wife noticed that we have "quite a few" speakers in our back room (a converted 2 car garage + tool shed footprint) and that the collection seems to be growing. After my current A7.3 pencil build I'll once again restrict myself bookshelf-size builds, more easily squirreled away in a closet when not in use.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.