Closed back midrange drivers - problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see these listed right now on various retail sites and I've seen them used in less expensive systems for years. And, these were included in my 3-way kit from Radio Shack I built back in the early 80s* and I didn't notice them sounding particularly bad i.e. no nasal qualities or "hollowness" though admittedly I didn't do any controlled comparisons to arrive at that decision.

What are the negatives of such a driver? I'm thinking of building a 10" 3-way system to be used a learning exercise so I don't want to spend much - think of it as a speaker built by Chevrolet, not Audi - and will only be using them for "casual" use in a bedroom or living room where no critical listening will be done.

* here it is on page 60. FYI the spec page is incorrect: the xover point for the midrange was 900Hz, not 2000Hz as printed in the catalog. I built 4 cu/ft bass reflex enclosures for that kit - whew was that big, even back then. What a hassle they were taking them to college!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The box volume is defined by the manufacturer and therefore if incorrect cannot be easily modified. In addition to this a closed back midrange as it cannot have a large volume box cannot be tuned very low. For example the goldwood midrange on parts express site goes down to 800Hz. This can be an advantage though as you can use this as part of your crossover.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
In addition to this a closed back midrange as it cannot have a large volume box cannot be tuned very low. For example the goldwood midrange on parts express site goes down to 800Hz. This can be an advantage though as you can use this as part of your crossover.

more or less like a tweeter :confused:
and you know to stay well away from ressonance point, and not place xo point too close
either it could cause distortion
and/or, impedance ressonance peak could make the crossover more problematic

at least thats the theory
but with active xo, maybe less problems, I dont know

For example the goldwood midrange on parts express site goes down to 800Hz.
That's pretty close to what I was shooting for, mostly to keep the cost of the xover down. 600Hz would be better but I'll have to look at what is available out there to see if that is possible (Parts Express used to sell a pretty nice - for a sealed driver - midrange made by Pioneer but I just checked and it's gone now :().

Thanks for the offer Dave but I've decided to go with a conventional mid driver operating in a subenclosure. While I can't spend much, I decided I don't want to sacrifice too much, in this case the important midrange spectrum (and want the xover to be down around the 400Hz range).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.