humbuster schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Usher power amp that has a singing transformer,James Bongiorno of Ampzilla fame had an article in a recent TAS re: singing amplfiers and offered his solution in the form of a schematic for the ultimate humbuster. My knowledge of electronics is pretty basic and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could translate this schematic into a more basic diagram? (see attached).
Thanks, David

Attachments

• Humbuster.pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 600
I could totally be wrong here, but that circuit looks to me like something to "bust" ground loops. If I understand your problem, you are hearing the music coming from the amp power transformer itself. The transformer mechanically acting a little like a speaker. A ground loop would cause some low mains frequency hum in your signal chain. Totally different phenomenon from a transformer with vibrations in the laminations from the current variations.

I don;t see how a mains filter of any kind would prevent that. And if it does, I am eager to learn how.

I have an Usher power amp that has a singing transformer,James Bongiorno of Ampzilla fame had an article in a recent TAS re: singing amplfiers and offered his solution in the form of a schematic for the ultimate humbuster. My knowledge of electronics is pretty basic and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could translate this schematic into a more basic diagram? (see attached).
Thanks, David

As I understand your question the mains transformer is "singing"
due to the mains frequency and its overtones.

The diagram as shown revoves traces of DC from the mains by
insertion of the diode bridges. Especially toroidal transformers are
sensitive to this. For each half wave of ac four diodes are connected
in series. Additional caps provide some means of filtering or noise
suppression. The resistor is for discharge with open leads.

I have seen simpler arrangements with only two diodes. But JB
probably knows why he recommends this one.

Last edited:
Me again, I would like to build this, to see if it will solve the noise problem (not sure of the cost of parts?). I was wondering if there is someone out there that would like to take the time to turn the schematic into a somewhat simpler diagram with parts list for an inexperienced diyer. Please see my original post for attached "Humbuster" schematic
Thanks David

Last edited:
DC OFF SET

How's This

DC sigle bridge.png

"Much simpler, so I am just running one side of the AC (-) thru this"

Correct ... it inserts in the neutral line

You need to keep an eye on the bridge as it could get very hot and may require a sink

When I added the cost of putting one together with a premium outlet and IEC plus a heavy aluminium case ... I just bought 2 PS Audio Humbuster III at $150 each instead

Some of the valuve's of the caps I've seen are 2200uF and 3300uF at 16v

4700uF at 35v and if you look at the attached you'll see Bryston uses the circuit in some of their amps with 33000uF 6V caps

Sorry I can’t make a recommendation .. it was my own indecisions that led me to take the safe route and buy the HBIII’s

Attachments

• DCblock.gif
    DCblock.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 657
"Much simpler, so I am just running one side of the AC (-) thru this"

Correct ... it inserts in the neutral line

You need to keep an eye on the bridge as it could get very hot and may require a sink

When I added the cost of putting one together with a premium outlet and IEC plus a heavy aluminium case ... I just bought 2 PS Audio Humbuster III at $150 each instead

Some of the valuve's of the caps I've seen are 2200uF and 3300uF at 16v

4700uF at 35v and if you look at the attached you'll see Bryston uses the circuit in some of their amps with 33000uF 6V caps

Sorry I can’t make a recommendation .. it was my own indecisions that led me to take the safe route and buy the HBIII’s
can you post the ps audio humbuster schematic

Much, an enormous amount of very much, has be posted about the way these AC Mains supplies can have a net DC component in the distorted AC waveform.
Similar amounts of explanation have been given on why some transformers are susceptible to this form of waveform distortion and why the DC blocker can come to the aid of these susceptible transformers.

And yet I still see all the crap being repeated on what the DC blocker is NOT capable of doing.

The capacitors are the working element in the DC blocker.
To remove DC you need some ...... capacitors,
The diodes are an overload bypass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.