Rockford 1500-1bd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Newer 1500-1bd and the large pink capacitors right behind the speaker terminals caught fire, just about burnt through the board. I am having trouble identifing these. From what I have found it seems these are ceramic capacitors. It looks like they had an M (panasonic) logo and 100L on the top and 665k (value I believe) below. The board designations are c2017 and the other looks like c2010? It's hard to tell. Even stranger is that nothing else seems damaged or shorted in the amp? All transistors are good, the other capacitors are good (aside from a little smoke damage). I am wondering if these were defective? Also, there was an oily substance on the transistors, seems like electrolyte. from the explosion but I am not sure

So, something foreign either touched the inductor or it shorted on the lid, or is it possible for it to short from direct contact with the core ex: amp is mounted on a box and the coating gets rattled off of the wire or core. I did find a few spots where the coating seems to be chipping off. do these get the same coating as transformers?

Picture325.jpg

Mine look bad but they all read properly. capacitors were covered with glue completely, so the fire went out the front and out the back into the inductor. I did find some pieces of power wire stuck to the heatsink compound so I am wondering if some may have caused the short. I just thought the way this happened was weird.

Clamp the meter probes in the block and twist the inductor. Does the resistance change when you twist the inductor?

You mentioned that you found some strands of wire in the amp. It's possible that one has found its way under the speaker terminal block. If you have a compressor or canned air, see if you can force anything from under the block. Don't try to remove the block yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.