DAC build TDA1541A/SAA7220P/B *will take som time*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ordered the PCB and the first component today.
I like the sound from my Marantz CD-60, even if it's only partially modded, so I wanted that sound for my PC too.
This build will take some time as I'll gather parts as I can afford them..

DAC PCB
TDA1541_DAC_PCB.jpg

SAA7220P/B
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and finally
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the Analog Metrics PCB? If so it has a design flaw in that the replay clock (an XTAL OSC module) isn't locked to the SPDIF input resulting in skipped or duplicated samples every so often. Worth knowing that I feel before you begin to troubleshoot any clicks or glitches you encounter :p

This is the Analog Metrics PCB? If so it has a design flaw in that the replay clock (an XTAL OSC module) isn't locked to the SPDIF input resulting in skipped or duplicated samples every so often. Worth knowing that I feel before you begin to troubleshoot any clicks or glitches you encounter :p

It's this one

I've heard of people being very pleased with this, although that's been the complete kit.

This will supply the I2S signal until I can afford better.
I'm hoping the coaxial out provides I2S....

I just checked ' Polida ' and his feedback then found 11 references to ' FAKE '
just on the first page.
There'll be more.

It's very hard to spot these things sometimes and I too have fallen for it.
I remember buying some Black Gates a few years back from one of these Asian cheats and when they arrived I just knew I'd been done.
On reflection they were just too cheap but back then I was just over eager.

Now if I see something interesting I go to the negative feedback pages - it tells you everything about the supplier and can be very funny too if you just need to have a laugh:D

I just checked ' Polida ' and his feedback then found 11 references to ' FAKE '
just on the first page.
There'll be more.

It's very hard to spot these things sometimes and I too have fallen for it.
I remember buying some Black Gates a few years back from one of these Asian cheats and when they arrived I just knew I'd been done.
On reflection they were just too cheap but back then I was just over eager.

Now if I see something interesting I go to the negative feedback pages - it tells you everything about the supplier and can be very funny too if you just need to have a laugh:D

I actually have a TDA1541A in my watch list that's about twice the price from a seller with no negative feedback about fakes, actually 99,8% pos feedback.
Just thought I'd check the cheaper one out.

How about the Valab 1ppm 11.2896 TCXO for this board?
It's rather cheap, any better ones that are about that price?

Was looking around for a better USB to coax than the one I've got...
Is the Teralink - X2 Native 24/96 a good option or are there better ones for about that price?

I've got some time to look for the best options as I'll gather parts bit by bit as I can afford to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.