ST151 100W AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI GUYS
I DID THE ABOVE AMP AS PER THREAD (GETTING NO RESPNSES FROM THREAD)-SIXTEK.
SHEMATIC AND PIC PER ATT.
TRANSFORMER 32-0-32VAC - REG 50-0-50VDC
QUIESCENT CURRENT SET TO 20mv (tried 3.3mv) set with P1.
ONLY CHANGES MADE FROM THREAD GUIDENCE AS FOLLOWS:
OUTPUTS 5200/1943
C4 4.7pf
C13 150nf
PRE-AMP TDA 1524A AS PER DATA SHEET
TESTING SPEAKERS "200W" 4 OHM (NEW CAR SPEAKERS)
PROBLEM I HAVE, I GET A POPPING NOISE ON SPEAKERS WITH BASS TURNED HALF UP. OTHERWISE IT SOUNDS CLEAR AN CRISP.
I CAN GET HOLD OF A SCOPE AND GEN BUT WOULD NOT KNOW HOW TO TEST THE AMP.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFULL- PLS
TXS JOHN

Attachments

• st151 schematic krajz v 1.7.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 286
  • ST151 100W amp.jpg
    ST151 100W amp.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 452
To clarify what djk is saying - T10 and T14 are VI limiting transistors. These activate when the amp is working too hard, to prevent damage to the output transistors. The popping you are hearing is these transistors activating and limiting the current to the output stage.

The protection was designed for the original TIP35/36 transistors which are not as capable as (real) 2SA1943/2SC5200 transistors. You'd need to alter the resistors around the protection circuit to take this into account.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
While I agree with what these other members here are saying there might be another factor you should be taking in consideration. 200w car speakers usually mean 50W RMS MAX, 200w usually being music power. From the look of the schematic this amp is capable of somewhat more than 50 RMS. You may be already be overdriving the speakers and car speakers make pop sounds through excessive cone movement before the coil heats up too much and finally fries. Try removing T10 and T14 like suggested by DJK, it will probably answer your question of where the pops are coming from, either the protection circuit needs adjustment or youre overdriving those speakers, I seriously doubt the speakers can handle the sort of power this amp is capable of espesially if they are of the 2 or 3 way type (95 % of car speaker manufacturers cant), subwoofers yes.

As "designed" , the current limiters will work once each power device conduct
2 amperes peak current , that is 4 amps peak for the whole output stage,
and of course , with a 4 R speaker , this will happen once the output voltage
is no more than 16 V peak, largely below the amp s supply voltages.

You can increase the output current capability by increasing the limiters
thresholds to about 4 amps / power device by connecting 220 R resistors
from base to emitter of both T10 and T14.

Once you are sure why the amp/speaker is misbehaving and you are sure it is a poorly designed limiter.
Better to add some transient signal tolerance to the IV limiter.
Keep the DC limit at or slightly above the 2Apk.

Add an RC filter to the input to the detection circuit so that fast pulses can pass without the limiter activating.
As slower/longer pulses pass the filter but attenuated you will find that the limiter will start to trigger but at a higher level than the DC sensitivity.

The device SOA is very much more tolerant of high current short period transients than the DC SOA. Use that margin to give you a better limiter.

Remember: a good limiter will never trigger on a valid Audio Signal passing into a valid Audio Load.

hi guys, txs to all for helping, i conected my KEF 8 ohm speakers rated at 100w and when i drive the bass past two thirds they also pop and i dont want to stuff them up. Bone asks what caps 2 x 6800uf. Mantech a very reliable electronic dealer in SA says the 5200/1943 wont be fake,surely they would have blown if driven full blast which i can do just dont go beyond two thirds with the bass, and all sounds clear an neat. Andrew /wahab - what u r telling me im sorry but its all greek,what would u suggest i start of with doing.
txs again all
John

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I think your next step should be to remove T10 T14, this way youll be sure where the pops are coming from. If its the problem some minor redesign could be done to fix it. BTW what exactly do you mean by driving the bass 2 thirds, are you bass boosting and how much ??

Here is the circuit straight as datasheet spec.what i mean by turning bass up i cant go past half on some recordings depends on the music but yes basically on most with a lot of bass.i had a visiter here and said that the cone of the speaker is hitting its end like one of u said but what i dont understand is surely their must be a way to safeguard against this.
txs john

Attachments

• TDA 1524A NO BASS BOOST .jpg
    TDA 1524A NO BASS BOOST .jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 174
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I thought that would be the case, you have to keep in mind that the amp is capable of quite some more power than the speaker can handle, bass boosting means upping the power even more, even the kef s might not be able to do more than 50 watts. Have a close look at the power ratings given for the speakers, do the say RMS or music power, there is a vast difference ?? Does the magnet of the speakers heat up considerably ?? another good indicator of overpowering.

BTW Im also a EX - Gautengeleng, from Alberton.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.