• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Rectifiers the often ignored Final Frontier!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a medium collection of the best rectifiers currently on the NOS market.

They are special military versions of the 5R4GYs.

They were all made by RCA.

The original boxes read as follows:

U.S. ARMY
U.S. NAVY
JAN
CRC
5R4GY
Vacuum tube

Mfg. By Radio Corp. Of America
Acpt May 1945

SC278A

I also have the same tube labeled GE-JAN-CG-5R4GY.

The only noticeable difference in construction between these tubes and regular ubiquitous NOS 5R4GYs are twin bottom getters.

The difference in sound is profound. They might be the equivalent or better than an NOS Western Electric 274 A or B. To the best of my recollection these sound more transparent and less noisy.

These annihilate all current Chinese 274s no matter what you pay for them.

I have been slowly selling them at $200 each via consignment through an internet retailer.

I am open to offers and trades.

quote:
How much for how many meeting the exact description I gave?

I have 18 of them.

I checked them again this morning and none are gold plated. None are exceptional and none merit $200 ea or $100, or even $30 EA. They are absolutely nothing more than a run of the mill rectifier. Have tried them in equipment I have built and they posess no magical properties. The 5u4 sounds superior.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.