• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 mounting question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might be a really silly newbie question, but here goes: I was reading page 5 of the Genalex KT88 data sheet. It states:

"Installation

The tube may be mounted either vertically or horizontally.
When tubes are mounted vertically it is recommented that the centres of the
tube sockets are not less than 4in. apart and that pins 4 and 8 of each tube are in line."

I understand the minimum spacing for adequate ventilation, but why do the tubes need to be "clocked" a certain way when they are standing up (i.e. not mounted horizontally)?

Thanks for any insight.

but why do the tubes need to be "clocked" a certain way when they are standing up (i.e. not mounted horizontally)?.

I've never read this directive before, but I'll take a good guess at it. Orienting the tubes a particular way is probably to prevent the "hot" side of the plates from facing each other. The hot side would be the side that sees the wide face of the cathode. If the tubes are spaced more then the minimum of 4 inches apart, then it probably doesn't matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.