High Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
i am working on an power amp in multisim that i need some help to. will it work as it is or ? i have an 1.3kW trafo that gives +- 58volt dc. i will then use 60.000 uF per rail and i have some BYV54-V200 Double Rectifier Diodes i want to use as the diodebridge. will the amp i had designed be stable at 2 ohm or as low as 1 ohm ? i am planning to build 2 of the amps and thinking on bridging the 2 pcb and drives it in 2 ohm bridge ? or elles i need to go 4 ohm per channel. but then i dont have as much power . View attachment Forstærker.ms11.pdf

sorry for myu bad english i am from denmark :)

The orientation of the output devices is puzzling - usually one expects the emitters to face the output line, or both collectors, given it is a complementary output.

To determine the output's capabilities look at the spec sheet for the devices, figure out the
current that will flow at full power (58v swing), then see what the SOA is per device, multiply x the number of devices per rail that will tell you if you are within bounds or where the limits are. Seems unlikely that this number of devices will handle a 1 ohm load.
In bridged configuration the power available increases by 4x, because the voltage swing is now +/- 2 x rail voltage (approximately).

_-_-bear

Anders3408, that's one big transformer!
one question, why down to 1 ohm? most amplifiers are stable at 4 ohms and give plenty of out put power. Also bridging at 2 ohms is on the hairy edge and your amp may end up going up in smoke with it's limited o/p devices.

I've worked on many peavey's like the old work horse 'pv 1.3k' and this old monster was a 1000w per at 2 ohms and could be bridged at 4 ohms!
As I recall there was two large power stages with plenty of To-3's devices,the only this apart from weighting like a boat anchor the triac if fired would take most of the o/ps with it! I would remove this part and replace with a speaker protection relay system thus removing that turn on/off plop and giving a much better over system..

I noticed on your amp there's no cap after the 1k where it goes to ground, most designs within the feed back part have, say,27k or 33k etc.. then say 1k followed by 47uf or 100uf etc to ground.

moscheft: what is wrong with Q14 ? :S

the low ohm is because i have an sub with two 4 ohms subs, and these are in parallel and i need to disamble the sub if it shall goes in 4 ohms. how many output devices is need for 1 ohm ? i had made one of these class ab amp before with +-40 volt rail and smaller output deviceses and i also just gave 65 watt whit low thd. but now i will try a bigger one. and because i have a serios transformer laying with many bigs caps and biig diode rectifier. i was building an class t amp , an amp 7 from 41hz.com but it played fm noise with an +-52 test rail, and my first time i mounted the 58+- rail it blows up, but it was because a lm317 was shorted so the 10 volt supply was 28 volt, all fets blows , the tripath ta3020 chip blows up and 5 caps blows up, i dont know if i try it again some time, but for now it is laying in the corner :(

amtech, what will the caps do diffrence ? are u meaning that i shall add a 47 uf cap or 100 uf between the resistor and ground ?

The PNP output devices are drawn upside down.
what Amptech is saying it there is DC gain by omitting the feedback cap.
there is also a thread recently about this type of symmetrical input stage, ( or something similar, but I cant find it now) but seems to say that this type of design is not stable at DC.
If you have DC gain on top of that, then there will be trouble!

are you saying that the pnp and npn is placed wrong and the npn shall be n the top with positive voltage and pnp in negative voltage ? i will try working on some protection, i am mounting an lm35 on the heatskrink that gives signal to an arduinoboard and if the temp goes to high it will clip the relay on the transformer and the speakerrelay also . i am thinking about using the arduino board and a current limiter : http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/ACS712%20Low%20Current%20Sensor%20Board%20v12.pdf
i then add a display to show the temp and the current. will that work or is it better with LDR or Vi limiter?

No.
You still have devices upside down.
You still have parallel devices with zero emitter resistors.
You still have mixed AC and DC coupling.
You still have unusual input filter values.
Weird decoupling philosophy.
mje340 as a VAS device??????
R16 & R18 killing the performance of the VAS stage.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
have an 1.3kW trafo that gives +- 58volt

will the amp i had designed be stable at 2 ohm or as low as 1 ohm ?

planning to build 2 of the amps and thinking on bridging the 2 pcb and drives it in 2 ohm bridge ?

not impossible, but even the most experienced builders would have a hard time to make this happen

you will have to lower your expectations, a lot

apart from it would cost a fortune in burned parts, it could actually burst into flames, literally

Bridging is likely to exceed the SOA of the devices very quickly...

Otoh, a beefed up driver and a ton of output devices is an option...

But first build a small version like the driver and a simple output with just two devices to check that it is stable and works... not into a low Z load. To me the output stage is just odd... but I am not that good at this stuff.

Listen to Andrew about the FB.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.