IRL3714

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the curves for the IRL3714 ( http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irl3714.pdf ) it looks to have a fairly nice sized operating region with more triode-like curves. I'm thinking it might make for a good candidate for use in a cascoded power amp ala the ZV8/ZV9/F3. Of course, it's an enhancement mode device, so it'll be a little more work to bias it. I'm going to build otherwise identical ZV9 figure 4 amps, one pair with the LU1014 and the other pair with the IRL3714, and I'll report on the comparative sounds. Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary hardware to take objective measurements of the two amps....

I may also try it in a BOZ type circuit with a 20v B+....

Roscoe

I have always consider IRL devices as Laterals...They have around 2V Vgs threshold, very similar to laterals.

The low frequency performance will be magnificent, but the high frequency might be unbearable. In BOZ type circuit (which I have built) you definately want a low input capacitance, not a 670pF device (compare to 135pF of IRF610). Even if you use chokes or shunt type regulators, I don't think the high frequency sounds will be sufficiently good (especially if your speaker has planars or Dynaudio tweeters ;))

EDIT/ADD: I plan to use IRL device for my woofer in an active 3-way system, as the bass performance is the best.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.