Maximum power for Offline Flyback(90-265VAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

We are going to do an SMPS for a Class D audio guitar amplifier.

The Power level that we wish to choose, is that power level which is the maximum possible power level that can be done with a cheap flyback.

So do you know what that power level is?

The Class D amplifier will be of the half-bridge variety.
Vin = 90-265VAC.

I've seen a NCP1651 based, single-stage PFC/flyback do 54V at 10A from a 85-264V input. Transformer was huge, output had horrible 120Hz ripple on it... but it was a battery charger so it didn't matter.

No reason you can't do the same, just make sure the class D section provides plenty of power supply rejection at 100/120Hz.

If you want cheap and higher power, you can't beat what's in a lot of LCD TVs nowadays.

Generic PFC stage, producing a "regulated" 400V, followed by an unregulated half-bridge forward converter running at maximum duty cycle. No output inductors, and the only feedback is overvoltage protection.

sorry Sawyer, but ti.com disagree with you.heres a 150 Watt flyback.......

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slup078/slup078.pdf
Why are you so insistent on proving people wrong? He said "not typically used above 100W or so" instead of "it's impossible", and besides it's been 3 months since anyone posted in the thread.

I'm pretty sure you could build a flyback capable of 100KW if you really wanted to. It'd be the most impractical power supply on the planet, completely pointless to build, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

A 100W flyback with conventional magnetics and good coupling requires ETD29, otherwise it's ok (>=150W will require >=ETD39). The advantage over forward converter is lower part count.

PI TOPSWITCH ICs (and others) allow to make 100W-200W flybacks with low part count without compromises in protection or regulation, but be careful with pulse skip modes at low power because they can make poor class D circuits sing ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.