Vintage Capacitor Identification??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi -

New here, so hope I put this in the right section.

Anwyay, I picked up a vintage guitar effect that is dead, and I am trying to repair it. First I would like to identify the components, but I am having a hard time trying to identify this capacitor:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/fuzzy645/maestro_cap1_500.jpg

Not sure what the numbers 6213 mean. I assume the J is tolerance. I assume the + indicates the cap is polarized.

Thanks,
Paul

Are there any other letters ?

Attachments

• maestro_cap1_500.jpg
    maestro_cap1_500.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 102
Thanks all.

The other side says "20-12 DC"

Could be 20 uf? If so, what is the -12 ????

My guess would be a 20uF 12 Volt cap. Could be depending on where it is used in the circuit. You might put a meter across it when powered up and see what voltage it is subjected to.

I'd say the date code thing is pretty solid. Most parts used to be numbered that way. As an easy check look at all the other parts in the amp. If you see a bunch of numbers ranging from say 62xx to 64xx then it might suggest when the amp was built. That's how I go about dating an unknowm piece of equipment. On mass production parts are usually made within a year of assembly.
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.