Differences between Tannoy 8 inch units

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the differences between the Tannoy 8 inch dual concentric speaker units as used in the DC1000/2000/3000 and the Tannoy 609/611?

The Tannoy i8 appears to be the same design but uses a paper cone.

The crossovers are slightly different but do the units themselves really sound different?

Best wishes

David P

Yes - thanks - of course I prefer paper - but it's really about the interaction between tweeter and woofer cone at around the crossover frequency that becomes interesting - and my feeling is that the DC2000 is flatter than the 611: is this on account of different tweeter horn or the crossover . . . ?

Many thanks

Best wishes

David P

Hi!

Thanks. Yes - the differences between the DC2000 and 611 speakers are subtle but profound - the DC2000 has a very smooth flat-ish unexciting sound which I suspect is accurate whilst the 611 has an excitement to the music particularly on trumpets. Applying a signal to the tweeters the DC2000 sounds slightly nasal whilst the 611 is sweeter, contrary to the expectation of the overall sound of the speaker. The DC2000 has a set of near conic section waveguides whilst the 611 is which I beleive to be commonly known as the tulip. Is this more governing than the different crossovers used?

Best wishes

David P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.