Connecting two guitar amps to one speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am a musician who recently bought a new amp for guitar (Egnator Tweater = Amazing ).
I have hooked it up to a Crate Cutsom loudspeaker. Everything is working fine at 8ohms i think.

The old amp Crate TD60 (1990's) is currently in repairs. If it makes it out alive, i am thinking of slotting it back in the speaker cabinet with the Tweaker on top so if one goes down live i can easily switch to the other. This could be done by replacing the speaker cable on stage which mounts directly onto the speaker cone with clips (fiddly in the dark)

Now my question is, because the speaker has 2 possibilities (2 mounting brackets to clip on i.e. 4 cable opportunities = 2 x 2) to attach amps, can i run 2 amps similtaniously on or off in all combinations without hurting the either the speaker or the amps.

I really am a complete novice in electrics but i guess this has something to do with ohms. I am also guessing that if all goes wrong and both amps are on, the electric current will travel through the connection bracket effect the other amp and maybe hurt it quite a bit.

Please could someone advise me on this.

For a bonus listen my new album is here: www.electrocuted.moonfruit.com :wave:

I am also guessing that if all goes wrong and both amps are on, the electric current will travel through the connection bracket effect the other amp and maybe hurt it quite a bit.

"Quite a bit" might be an understatement. Never, ever wire the outputs of two amps together, or arrange any switching so it might happen.

I'm going to assume the Crate has wires coming directly from the chassis to the speaker. The right thing to do would be to put a 1/4" jack on the back of the Crate's chassis, so you merely move a 1/4" plug (on the end of a cable connected to the speaker) from one amp to the other, not too fiddly in the dark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.