• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Just too much stuff ... off topic dscussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohhh, someone's gonna LOVE those Mar-Ken12Ts!!! That is, if they sound anything like my Mar-Ken 12 Octagon "Deathstars", which they should. I'm loving mine.

These and particularly Bernie's locust and VG Fir enclosures for the 12s and FF85WKs demonstrate the inadequacies of photos to do justice to the sensuality of this enclosure shape.

As much as they're a bit more complicated build than rectangular versions, I dare say the "T's are still a much simpler build than the Octagons - what's next, a dodecahedron?

$hit, now someone's gonna ask for drawings for that

you're welcome Dave,

These and particularly Bernie's locust and VG Fir enclosures for the 12s and FF85WKs demonstrate the inadequacies of photos to do justice to the sensuality of this enclosure shape.

As much as they're a bit more complicated build than rectangular versions, I dare say the "T's are still a much simpler build than the Octagons - what's next, a dodecahedron?

$hit, now someone's gonna ask for drawings for that

you're welcome Dave,

Maybe not dodecahedrons (yes, I DO know what one is!), but a cylinder would be great. That would fit right up to the face of a sphere and the slots would be concentric. Can't you just see it now?

Maybe not dodecahedrons (yes, I DO know what one is!), but a cylinder would be great. That would fit right up to the face of a sphere and the slots would be concentric. Can't you just see it now?

Oh the dode's been done before -wasn't there one by Design Acoustics or some such - as well as

Dodecaedro%20ing.jpg

It just struck me as a perhaps needlessly complicated design from a fabrication point of view

Bipole-Bipole speaker

Hi Dave. Sent an email to planet10. Slightly off topic but did not want to start a new thread.

Anyway need a new project and was thinking of the 22 litre bipole. Can't see those drivers still for sale on your site. Do you have suggestions for other drivers for that design. Have you tried some small woofers mounted in that cabinet for augmentation at all. Just a thought. It may already have some nice tight bass.

Not against a bookshelf style project either with say a 10 inch alpair. I'm in Aus so i have not heard any of these speakers. I'm also new to making speakers but have enjoyed my attempts so far. The other project i need to get up is a pair of woofers.

Anyone have some favourite designs they think i should pursue. Into vocals, R&B etc.

Posting because i'm not up to speed with all thie knowledge floating around on this site so trying to do that and have a project at the same time.

Cheers Craig

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 22 litre sealed would have been the sealed one for the CSS FR125/WR125. With hindsite i would recommend a smaller enclosure. 14 litres would be fine. Personally i;d go a bit smaller and make them aperiodic.

Bob is currently cleaning out the last of the WR125 16 ohms at 1/2 price. Add a pair of the ERT26 tweeters and XO with a single cap.

If you go ahead i would change the aspect ratio such that the box is wider than it is deep. This helps reduce the on-axis bipole dip.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have built a lot of better speakers since those were done. The WR is extended range and likes help above 10k. The FR does not need a tweeter. WR has a bit more bass potential.

In the bipole-bipole we had FR one side and WR + super-Tweeter on the other.

If you wanted something in the same vein, i'd suggest looking at the microTower or Coniston^2, you can get the EL70 from Darcher in Tasi.

The Mar-Ken12s would have life-threatening postage. Given that max weight by post to Oz is 20 kilo you'd be looking at 2 15+ kilo packages at at least $160 each (actually i'm surprised it is that cheap) for slow boat.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Given the balance of things i value in a speaker, personally i'd take 7.3 please (and add woofers if i felt need for more bass/dynamics). A10.2 over 12. And i'd take 2 pair of my EL70 over A12. With A10.2 it would be more of a struggle to choose. Not helping the sale of the MK12T here am i. Not to say that they aren't excellent, just that the others set a VERY high bar.

dave

Must be a damn high bar then, I have just finished a pair of MK12T and they're great. Some helper FAST is needed but not on all music, hopefully Dave will be able to come up with the wooft to compliment these and if he does I for one will definately be building them.

arny1

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Must be a damn high bar then

The bar has been getting higher & higher over and only recently passed where the best were at the peak of the FR era (some will dispute that new ones are that good).

And what ranks where changes based on what attributes you value most -- speakers in general are way far away from perfect.

And your room. And your amp. And the rest of your kit.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.