Copper Foil Speaker Cable - advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on making some of these if i can make it relatively cost effective. Ive seen some stuff in the UK rfi/emi copper tape that is 19mm wide (roughly 3/4 inch) and 0.08mm thick. Is this sufficient? My guess is that it should be. I can then seal the runs using some translucent tape. Is there a problem for some amps using this stuff? Cheers

I see no reason why it won't work. However a word of caution. Some amplifiers don't like the capacitance that this configuration of cable brings, with some becoming unstable, going into oscillation either completely or intermittently. I know a few people that have had amplifiers cook themselves when using Goertz (and the 9 plait versions of Cat5). I find these cables can have a very distinctive signature, one I don't like, but you might.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.