• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

KT88 Bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just replaced EL34s in my SSE with KT88s. I am using 620R for cathode resistors with ~450v B+. I have some 2k resistors I can parallell for ~470R but other than slight decrease in distortion and slight increase in damping factor, would there be any benefit to increasing the current or can I just stick with the 620R?

use whichever sounds the best to your ears. That is all that matters in the end.

Yeah, what he says.....

On my big speakers I can hear a noticible difference when I put the 1K resistor across the 560 ohm that is in my board. This makes the tubes hot and the power transformer even hotter. On my other speakers it makes no difference at all, so why stress the parts?

I have a pair of resistors with aligator clips that I use when getting loud with the big speakers. They are not used any other time. Bench measurements show minimal differences and even a few tenths of a watt loss in power at the higher current since the B+ drops a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.