Possible? 10" PR sub with Scanspeak 26W/4558T00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I would have liked to build a Passive Radiator sub using the now discontinued Peerless XLS PR, but since I can't find them anywhere I've been experimenting in WinISD Pro with a Scanspeak 26W/4558T00 driver and the matching passive radiator 26W/0-00-00

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4558t00.pdf
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-0-00-00.pdf

Has anyone built a Passive Radiator design with these Scanspeaks? I heard that the max excursion is not great in the Scanspeak, and I understand that Xmax measurement can be a little inconsistent between manufacturers - but the Scanspeak value of 28mm actually exceeds the Peerless 22mm.

I plugged the stats into WinISD and chose a box size of 30L and added 200g to the PR (as per the similar Peerless design) - the graphs come out like below for the Scanspeaks:

As I'm not yet adept at knowing what I should be looking for in these charts - I wonder whether someone whose done it before would be good enough to comment on whether this design would be a goer, or whether I've overlooked something catastrophic in the graphs or in entering the parameters. It looks good to me, but only because it seems similar to the Peerless results and doesn't seem to blow up in excursion.

Apologies for the giant pics - its taken around a hour to get this post to this stage! And I hope when I hit submit it all works out...

Scanspeak 26W driver in WinISD
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

System Transfer function:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Passive radiator transfer function

Passive radiator cone excersion @ 120W

Driver cone excursion @ 120W

ok - I've discovered a design on the web here:

Solen Electronique Inc.

with the cabinet looking like this

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/kits/disc10.pdf

using a mere 17L box. Seems too small to me if the Peerless box was slightly over 30L and Peerless drivers are very similar to the Scanspeaks.

I've also discovered that Xmax is actually 12.5mm, with 28mm being the physical max. Like-for-like, I think its the same as the Peerless XLS.

There is a "Voicecoil" review at Voice Coil - Voice Coil February 2011 I found... and while I don't even pretend to understand 5% of it, it summarises as "Looking over all the data presented, this is a very well designed driver, and another good one from Scan-Speak "

I've done simulations with scan-speak and xls10 with its matching passive radiators.

We all know the xls10 passive is discontinued but you'll get the same with xls10 driver and scan passiv. Scan driver with matching passiv is good but not as good as xls10 driver with scan passiv .

Scan passiv has 28mm xmax (56mm total) ! It's an "updated" xls10 passive

WinISD gives you not a really good simulation with passive radiators, you have to use unibox instead!

I'm doing a project with 4x xls10 driver/scan passive and you can find my simulation pics if you're following this link, scroll down to post #39 (it's in german but you can see the pics )

I own 2 of the 10" peerless XLS passives. At some point I intend to be rid of them, but I'm not sure when. They are currently in use in my front mains but I implemented them at a time when I knew too little and they do not match up well with the drivers or box size and I'm planning on probably re-doing all the drivers and x-over at some point in the future. Problem i, I don't know when that is going to be.

Are these what you were after? : Peerless 830468 Xls 10" Passive Radiator 297-606 ?

What's your time frame and are you interested in used?

----

wait, I just noticed you are over the pond quite a ways. Might not be practical :)

Last edited:
I think passive radiators should be used for subs in homecinema with movies. PR come to mind if you want 20hz in a small enclosure and 20hz is a nice thing with movies but for music you don't need this.

Oh and by the way...i've checked the solen link with the DISCOVERY10 kit and i must say don't trust this "Capable of an astonishing 119dB at 25Hz"! The dicovery10 kit is surely a very good kit, but 119dB at 25Hz is a joke, not true !!!

This is the result with Scan-Speak 26W/4558T00 and 26W/0-00-00 in 31,5 liter volume (without any filter):

prresponsescanspeak260fqdm.gif

prexcursionscanspeak2pkrd0.gif

Last edited:
I hope so, Thx! Would like to know more about your project Telstar

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/210920-drivers-suggestions-small-closed-box.html

It's in early simulation stage.
But then I fine tune (read EQ/dsp) with my ears.

The upper ways are two (with a possible supertweeter integration at later stage), with 12" Beyma woofers in U-frame (they roll VERY steep) and Hemp FR in OB, actively crossed.

The best bass to complement OB speakers I heard was from two big closed boxes using a pair of 12" xxls per side. Unfortunately I DONT have that space, and also cannot do XO and EQ digitally for this way, due to the limits of my current source (for at least another year). I'm just looking to 1st octave + 2nd octave reinforcement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.