Single BJT VS JFET Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am comparing a simple JFET common source design to a similar gain BJT CE design.
Both running on 16V and gain around 20-25dB.

Which do you think has less distortion and which sounds better or even tube-like?

It's sometimes the simplest circuits that are the hardest because they depend a lot on component choices, operating point, etc.

So it's impossible to consider a single device like this in isolation - the sound will depend on the load you hang off it and how clean the power rails are.

It will also depend on how large a signal you put into the base - more swing means higher distortion.

You might find this link interesting: The Trioderizer - a solid state triode

The ZCA places significant demands on the power supply - I believe people are using large chokes to keep ripple out of the signal chain. If you like this approach check out the SEWA, an earlier design that had some good reviews. Otherwise I have no insight into the idea of using an old 2N3055 for line level - there's no obvious benefit that I can think of.

The ZCA places significant demands on the power supply - I believe people are using large chokes to keep ripple out of the signal chain. If you like this approach check out the SEWA, an earlier design that had some good reviews. Otherwise I have no insight into the idea of using an old 2N3055 for line level - there's no obvious benefit that I can think of.

Yes, I used chokes for simple circuits like the ZCA or BOZ or tube amps. I have also built the SEWA. The attractive thing about the ZCA is that I can make use of transistors that I have only in one pair ;)

About 2N3055, if I'm not mistaken, Mark said that it has good low level amplification properties. Quite controversial but I have many old transistors that I have only in one pair (or NPN only), such as the old RCA 2N3055. That's why I'm keeping an eye on thread like this :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.