Where are the commercial class D multichannel amps?fordable modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm actually using 3 stereo amps from Hifi-Akademie. You can buy the PCB for diy, or the soldered amp w/o case or the ready for use version. Outstanding SQ. Unfortunately everything is documented in German language only.
....::: HIFIAkademie.de :::....

Yikes, 100 euro for a board and 400 for the completed amp.. pretty steep compared to a lot of other options.

Hi Noah,

I can recommend this amp.

7.1 or 5.1 TK2050 8-channel amplifier board dg-1 | eBay

Sound is typical TK-2050 very well. There is enough power.

greeting

Michael

Interesting amp at a good price. The amp info is in English, but the remainder is in German which I can't read. Trying to determine if they ship to Canada and at what price.

Also in looking at the photos there sure aren't many parts compared to HIFiMeDIY for instance.

Rod

Being a sort of devil's advocate here, but consider the evil Behringer: I got a NU3000 for $267 delivered. This gets you an honest (?) 8/4 ohms of maybe 300/600 watts/channel, two channels. Or 1500 w/ch (peak). Is there another class D amp, even DIY, for that price? And it comes with warranty or if you don't like the noisy fan, you can void the warranty and DIY a quieter fan or (like I did, to everyone's disapproval) take the fan out completely. Works for me. But, you see, I am better at taking things apart than putting together. YMMV.

Being a sort of devil's advocate here, but consider the evil Behringer: I got a NU3000 for $267 delivered.

IMO, the reasons to go with a DIY multichannel unit over a stack of IPR's/XLS Drivecores/iNukes are aesthetics and compactness. With those amps, a biamped front mains trio takes up 6RU (~11" I think) of height. (Carvin does have a 4-channel Class D amp for ~$550 that would shrink that to 4RU for 8 channels.) One can make a DIY amp that is more attractive and smaller.

And the reasons to go for a DIY unit over a Lexicon DD8/Crown Comtech 8150 is to get a little more power and/or to save some money.

This gets you an honest (?) 8/4 ohms of maybe 300/600 watts/channel, two channels. Or 1500 w/ch (peak). Is there another class D amp, even DIY, for that price?

The Peavey IPR-1600 is similarly priced and similarly powerful. And it has been alleged that the Inuke is more-or-less a copy of the IPR, though I don't know is that is true.

The Crown XLS1500 is a little more expensive than the other two, and requires higher input voltage than the IPR/Inuke, but the fans only come on as needed, rather than continuously like the IPR/Inuke.

Carvin also has some neat-on-paper pieces, though I've never seen one up close or heard one. Particularly the aforementioned DCM-2004L, which has about as much power as an IPR1600/NU3000, but double the number of channels, for ~$550 or about the same $/W. And they're allegedly "made" in the USA, even. And simple black, rather than some shade of gaudy like the IPR/Inuke/XLS.

also consider some amps have DSP built in

Continuing as an unpaid shill for Behringer! ... the same would probably be true for other manufacturers ...

Behringer has, among the Inuke models, the NU####DSP line, which gets you a crossover and/or parametric EQ per channel. This might be better if you were just doing two-way, perhaps harder for 3-way or more complex systems.

Another thing to consider is you probably don't need 500, 1000 watts for every driver if you are making active system.

Still waiting for my "passively cooled" NU3000 to melt down.

$200 USD for 4 channels of class D DIY? Can you show an example? At least at the low end (power and perhaps quality) you can buy the Behringer EPQ304 (4 channels, each 4/8 ohm Peak 75/50, RMS 65/40) for right at $200 (Ebay, USA). It is class D. Even if one does not "cost" the value of one's time and skill to assemble a kit, can you even buy parts to make a similar or better 4-channel amp for $200? Can you even buy a crappy one for that price (not counting the Behringer!)

I did some more research on Ebay (I truly am an Ebay slut): you can buy a Class D kit, 4 channels x 250 watts, for USD $336.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-RMS-8...033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a500bc9e9
[Gee, made in USA! I didn't know anyone did that any more!]
Still to find similar for $200 would seem a great challenge. Group buys of the two hundred components not allowed [grin]

Last edited:
$200 USD for 4 channels of class D DIY?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...CH-OR2CH-OR-2-1CH-SET-EASILY-wholesalers.html

I have an amp based on same chip, and the sound is very good indeed, at enough power for normal rooms and speakers.

More power and still 4 channels

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...DUAL-TAS5630-High-Field-CLASS-D-Amp-V1-1.html

Didn't know the behringer though. Thanks for that info, if it sounds decent it might be good choise for me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.