SONOS + DAC + 125ASX2 Icepower - buffer needed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm building a DAC + 125ASX2 Icepower Module Amplifier to drive a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers, with a SONOS ZP90 source. The ensemble may live in a Rotel 1060 DVD player case that the DVD player has long since died.

Q1a: I'm aware the 125ASX2 has a low input impedance, but am wondering if the preamp (NE5532) in the DAC (this one Assembled 2496 DAC Board CS8416+AK4396+5532 24BIT 192K | eBay ) will negate the need for an input buffer to the amplifier?

Q1b: If I wanted to insert a Volume control potentiometer, where best would I put it?

Q2: If I wanted to have a volume control and give myself more flexibility with input switching with the Amp, I was considering this module (with the DAC precediing it): eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Would the PGA2311 be similarly ok driving the 125ASX2?

Thanks for your assistance. I've only just discovered this site, and it looks to be a great resource!

Regards,
Simon

Thinking aloud, if I go with the Q1 example, whether I needed to insert a volume control potentiometer at all, as the SONOS (I believe) does not degrade the signal when manipulating the volume digitally. I kind of like the idea of being able to grab a physical volume control on an Amp though....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.