Will this mic be any good for measuring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Would a Shure SM58 be any good for taking measurements? It is the only mic in the media loan centre(free) of my university and therefore the only one I can get my hands on. I do realise it's a vocal mic, but surely it's better than nothing and should give a reasonably accurate response?

It's the first time I've tried taking measurements, so just looking for a bit of advice.

Thanks

So if I were to build that little mic unit would I need any form of amplifier? It would be simply connected into my laptops 'mic in' socket. I have limited free time and money, so cheap as possible and glad you've pointed me to this little Panny mic.

This will work nicely with the mic input on your notebook:

mic-power.gif

SB

Thank you for the drawing. It will be a short while before I get around to doing this, maybe 3 weeks or so after my 2 current uni projects are finished. When I do I will have to come back to this thread to make sure I've soldered it up correctly even on this non-engineers diagram. As I am unsure of the - lead from the cell. Does it connect to both mic leads that then I presume lead to the 3.5mm jack on the right not shown?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.