Car Amp Grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've bought a car amplifier and their necessary cables and planning to install them inside my car. Now i am thinking about the amp grounding ....

Can i connect the ground terminal of the amp to the nearest part of the vehicle chassis .... or should i use a large gauge ground wire to connect it from the amplifier to the battery?:confused:

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks

Where's the battery? In some case going straight to battery will be better-most of the SPL guys will do a run to the battery as less voltage drop then to the chassis-only really a consideration with large power systems.

I sell car audio and my biggest issue with amps is poor earths-actually had one guy tell me the amp I sold him was POS and when I checked why it wasn't working he was trying to earth to MDF!

Generally straight to the chassis will work fine-just make sure it's a main part of the car and not a spot welded on pannel. Also make sure you sand back to bare metal and then drill through (making sure no brake/fuel lines etc are in the path) and bolt down, Some spray paint on the outside of the car and vaseline inside should prevent any corrosion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.