Using reticulated foam with waveguide loaded soft dome tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently loaded some seas 27tdfc soft domes in MCM6.5" waveguides ala Zaph audio:

Zaph|Audio

I'm just curious whether anyone has experimented using reticulated foam in such shallow waveguides? Would there be any advantage? I've seen it done in deeper waveguides and compression driver based set ups but not with soft domes.

For those unfamiliar with this idea of using foam in waveguides see this site:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide foam mod

I agree with sreten. I wouldn't bother with foam in the throat on that horn (it's lovely). If anything, wrap the edges of the horn with thicker foam (or felt) to prevent some highs from hitting the baffle edges.

check out post 3, long read but worth it for a free improvement. Granted, the conical has a steep edge, while the mcm goes smooth into the baffle. Foam around the edge works for my ev hr90, klipsch rb 75, and mcm 6.5" round horn.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/103872-geddes-waveguides-205.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/163293-conical-horn-dip.html

Norman

I'm just curious whether anyone has experimented using reticulated foam in such shallow waveguides? Would there be any advantage? I've seen it done in deeper waveguides and compression driver based set ups but not with soft domes.

For those unfamiliar with this idea of using foam in waveguides see this site:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide foam mod

Just so you know, Dr. Geddes has patented this idea of using reticulated foam in waveguides... You have to ask his permission to make, use, or sell anything with this feature in the U.S. I don't know if he has any international patents on it though...

Just so you know, Dr. Geddes has patented this idea of using reticulated foam in waveguides... You have to ask his permission to make, use, or sell anything with this feature in the U.S. I don't know if he has any international patents on it though...
Patent doesn't mean nothing if he makes those for his own use, patents only try to protect agains commersial copying.

Patent doesn't mean nothing if he makes those for his own use, patents only try to protect agains commersial copying.

not true in the US

practically there's little chance of being caught but US patents prevent "...make, use, sell"

there can be argument over "investigational use" - but bragging on the web about daily "use" in your home theater system could in principle get you a lawsuit

not true in the US

practically there's little chance of being caught but US patents prevent "...make, use, sell"

there can be argument over "investigational use" - but bragging on the web about daily "use" in your home theater system could in principle get you a lawsuit

That is correct. The patent enables the owner to prevent anyone from making, using or selling their invention. It's called an infringement suit. So, if you want to do this and talk about it openly, I would suggest getting permission from Dr. Geddes first, in addition to reading his patent. At the very least, it is the polite thing to do. He worked hard on that invention and another person's making, using or selling it amounts to stealing of intellectual property.

you will notice a sharpness. You can really hear what a recording studio does to a woman's voice (reverb, sustain, etc). We look forward to your results (don't forget the pics).

Norman

rb75foam2.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

silverflutemcmhorn.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that in the US Patent system, even a commercial competitor is permitted to build one unit for testing and research (no they can't sell that unit).

Anyone can develop improvements on a patented invention in secret. It's done all the time. The can't show the copy of the patented invention to others, offer it for sale, or publish it. They can do what they want with their own improvement on the patented invention however.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.