full range driver for car audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am looking for a pair of full range drivers (around 4") for my car. its a small hatchback car. currently it has an absolute junk system which tortures me for a couple of hours daily. I want to get a new headunit and speakers. dont want to muck around with crossovers and tweeters. The current drivers are just above my knee height and facing a little bit upwards.

I have alpair 7 on my desktop and just love them, so I am thinking maybe I can go for chp-70 for this purpose. Is the cone of chp70 as fragile as alpair 7? Anything good from fostex, tb etc for this puspose. If these are not suitable, please suggest something else.

If you know of any good head unit also, please let me know (max budget 100$ for HU, dont mind going used also). What kind of power should i look for in the HU. CD/USB should be good enough. Any HU that supports flac?

I have no plans to go for a sub in near future.

I am an absolute newbie to car audio. Please tell me what all I need to consider. I usually listen to classic rock, jazz, blues, some classical etc. I usually drive front windows down. The temperatures here are usually between 20-36C.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that car speakers are (should be) engineered to endure the less than hospitable environs and operating conditions in cars/trucks. As many wonderful attributes that full-range drivers may have, some of them can be "delicate flowers"

If you do decide to experiment with small FR drives in a car, something like the paper cone Mark Audio CHP70, CSS EL70 would be much a much better bet.

Last edited:
try and get them up on the dash on axis in the smallist enclosure you can get away with , but you will have to run woofers either in the doors or kick panels . a popular set up is the 3" bamboo tang band and a peerless sls 6.5 or 8 " crossed over somewhere around 315hz

i've a set of h-audio trinity which is pretty much a fountek fr88-ex and morel mw 266/8 that i'm putting in my car .

steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.