• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

XS-225 Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier 2X25W on E-Bay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It seems awfully cheap for what it purports to offer. Note also that it is a hybrid tube amp so the speaker output I suspect is class D. There is a fan on the back, likely to be noisy in use. The knobs, chassis and other stuff look obviously cheap..

I would suspect that most of the circuitry is on cheap pcb and uses SMD components widely.. Perhaps not so easy to work on..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Postage is double what it should be - IMHO

If someone already had the iron and valves for a 4 valve amp then this could provide the case. Remote control, usb dac would add to the value. It looks cheap but no worse than some of my home build efforts..........:D

Postage here is through the roof lately so I was not sure what to think about the post cost.

WRT to your home build efforts, I bet they generally prove to be reliable - I'm not so sure about the amp discussed.

I purchased a very good Chinese dac a few years ago, a Zhaolu, and it continues to give its new owner satisfaction. It cost a great deal more than this whole ensemble, and I thought it a steal.. In this particular case it might be, but not necessarily in the good sense of the word..

The wise amongst the Romans said "Caveat Emptor" I have to agree..:D

WRT to your home build efforts, I bet they generally prove to be reliable

Only because of the kind help of forum members.

My Chinese CD and DVD players seem to go on forever. My Cambridge Audio CD player ( British ) on the other hand is once again awaiting major surgery ( transformer this time ).

As far as the above amp is concerned I could be tempted by a used/faulty one going cheap on Ebay. Suffice to say it would be seriously gutted..........:)

Hi I have received this amplifier today, looking a bit chip build but solid, a bit noisy toroid transformer sitting at the top, covered by a cover, cooling fan at the back is coming on and off.
Will give a couple of days to burn in. Sound so far promising.
Best regards.

This amplifier was already discussed here at the forum. IIRC the 6N1P was for voltage gain, and the 6P15P as cathode follower (buffer) for an IC based output stage. All valves were driven from low B+ supplies...

When I saw it for the first time I thought it would make a nice basis for a preamp.. relatively nice chassis, USB input, volume control and the holes to place some sockets for a P2P wiring.

XS 225R

Hi Again...

Please check the feedback on this amp for yourself at my eBay...
This amp is a great performer! Yes it’s on offer you could be crazzzzy
To miss out, even as a pre amp you got a deal and a half!!!!!

For you crazy modification heads it’s a gold mine, you can re work this
Into a full tube say 6n1 - 6P1 or 6P14 full tube.

Otherwise this amp is for the money untouchable! Don't take my word for it brothers and sisters check the feedback on what people who have bought one say!

TubeLing

Hi All.
I've just got hold of one of these litte amps, and to be honest, I think they are a bargain for the price (at least in terms of the looks).
I say this as mine has a fault and I can't sort it out as I cannot get hold of a circuit diagram or photo of the main board.
The problem is that one of linking cables under the main board, had shorted out onto the large diode N5402 I think (or something like that).
Anyway, it also took out the two caps and blew a load of track and a couple of links off.
I managed to replace everything, and tried it out on some thow-away speakers.
To my surprize, it turned on and went through the motions (lights/display etc).
I have two issues I wanted to ask for your help on. The first is that if any of you decide to mod your amp, could you please add a picture of the underside of the main circuit board to this thread, as I am not sure if part of the track is supposed to be missing.
It looks like it could go either way, but to join it up when it's not supposed to, could blow the whole thing up again.
The second issue is that when the volume is turned right down, the amp is silent. When it is turned to even the first "click", I get a buzz through both speakers.
So my problem could be as simple as joining the circuit, and everything may be fine, or not joining it and having to find another fault somewhere else.
I would greatly appreciate any help with this as the amp is essentially new.
Best regards,
Si.

Hello

I have the same problem with my amp XS-225 - there is noise/hum inside the speakers and outside the box. I've tried different things, I have placed the transformer behind the amp, 6-7 cm up, by removing the bolt that held the transformer. This has only minimized the external hum. A strange thing is, that if you remove the bolt, and hold the transformer in your hand with different distances, you can hear a difference in the humming.
The hum is not so loud inside the speakers and outside, if you remove the tubes. Perhaps the transformer is not strong enough?
The transformer gets rather hot.
I would like to hear from others, if you have ideas for a solution.
Best regards
Stefan

Hi.
I don't have a problem with humm, as in mains, mine is more like a buzz from something being falty or not earthed.
The issue may be a result of the board tracks not being joined correctly, which is why I was asking if anyone could take a picture of their board to see if the fault is simply a bad connection or not.
I can't test the circuit if it's not correct.

As far as the transformer humm you have is concerned, you could make a box for it outside the amp in which to house it, or if possible you could try to insulate the inside of the existing transformer housing with copper film.
Both these should give you an improvement (should).

I'm going to post my original question/request in the amp section as I don't think this is the right forum.
Cheers anyway.

Hello again
Well, It might be a buzz.
I come from Denmark and perhaps I can't know the right word for the the noise/hum, that we perhaps describes differently?
I can take a picture of mine if you want me to, but I need to know what you mean, when you talk about the board?
I can take several pictures and send them to you?
Are you sure that the buzz you hear not is coming from the transformer?
Stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.