The Alesis are back!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unsolicited endorsement (never heard-em-either):

I bought a small batch of these from Steve back at the end of the 1st run on the amps. I think I paid a little less money for each amp than these are listed for, however mine were bottom of the bucket and as is. I think my intention was that out of 4 units, I should get enough stuff to build two working units. The current add seems to imply that he is selling working units. I’m sure he’ll be quite open about their condition.

Well a lot has happened since then. Unfortunately very little of it has to do with audio.

The first thing I noticed about the amps is that they have switching power supplies. These are not the neat-O kind of switching poser supplies that run from 90-270 VAC 50-400 Hz. These have a jumper that needs to be removed for 220 operations. One of mine is missing the jumper and smells funny. The other three I checked OK for power supply output voltages. CHECK FOR THE JUMPER BEOFRE YOU PLUG YOURS IN! Jumper in: 110VAC, Jumper out: 220VAC.

I’ve never really counted myself as an Alesis fan, but there was just something alureing about these things that made me want to jump in .

I can’t tell you how they sound; I have yet to pass audio through them.

My original plane was to stuff these into a pair of aging Tannoy PBM 6.5's. Once Again I am reminded that I should have bought the 8's because there is no easy fit into my diminutive little boxes.

Its gonna be another 6 weeks before I get unpacked at the new "ranch" and can start actually playing with anything. My thoughts right now are to find some metal boxes that I can tuck them in with Speakeron connectors for the outputs. This way I can go ahead and play bi-amp with my existing boxes and start dreaming about building some little Auspurger knock offs (perhaps w/ Tangbands) for a home theater application.

All in all I'd say that I'm happy with the purchase and Steve Apex (jr.) gave me a good deal the stuff. We set the deal up over E-mail, but ultimately it was consummated on the phone. He's helpful, fun to talk with (like most of this DIY crowd) and a straight shooter.

If you have an application, stop thinking about these and go get yourself a set. Good audio fun for not too much cabbage.

-Dave

In most monitoring situations, if an engineer needs more than 6dB of headroom on an amp, then the levels aren't set properly. In these cases, SMPS will usually do the trick. Also, we are talking about being able to supply that power for the max RMS output, which are almost never needed in a nearfield situation.

Although there are situations that require more headroom, they are not the norm. Really, when was the last time you needed more than 4 watts RMS out of your amp?

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.