CSS EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everyone. I've been lurking for a while and I've searched and read many threads on small full range speakers, including all of the boombox stuff. I'm not looking for a beach blaster.

I was wanting to try some EL70's, one each in some simple rectangular .5 Cu.Ft. vented enclosures, maybe a little smaller if I can. These don't have to be the perfect setup just something to listen to fairly close by when working around the house.

Can I get away with going a little smaller say .4 Cu.Ft..

I know these don't have a real high spl but I was hoping to use an Amp 6 from 41hz, about 15wpc or so. Will that be enough to drive them?

All I'm looking to do here is to out do the $100 plastic Sony 2.3w max. portable I'm replacing. That thing was well engineered with two little cheapy 4" 3.2 ohm drivers in small .05 maybe enclosures with a port coming off the rear of each and it had an unexpected rumble to it for what it was.

I appreciate your help,

Lou

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 545
Thanks alot guys. Those look great btw Cal. I would really like to go even smaller than my original post say 1.8 or so. I would like to stay simple with the enclosure vs. some of the really cool but more involved slotted ones.

I have modeling software would play around with fill and porting to get what sounds good to me. I just want to make sure that I'm not committing any definite no, no's with these.

How hard is anyone driving them?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have fit EL70 in 4.7 and 13 litre boxes. 13 litre (0.46 ft^3) is as large as i will go. In the small box they sound good but like they are held back (part of the point of the demo Cal pointed to). I expect it will work in any size between those 2 limits.

Comments i just made on the bigger one may be of interest. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...7-cabinets-opinions-sought-4.html#post2715215

I think you will be very happy with the improvement over your Sonys.

dave

Thanks Dave. And I have looked at the post Cal mentioned and I alreadly have been studying the MarkEL70 and mMarkEL70. I was hoping to do a simple box with a tube port but if it's really worth the effort and a little extra weight I could definately make one of those enclosures instead.

I know it's a big variable but how many watts are you using?

Those look great btw Cal.
Thank you but the credit goes to others. The only thing I did was pick the finish.

chrisb did the veneering and managed to mirror match it extremely well
planet10 did the cone treatment, sound good as always
Mark Audio made the drivers to CSS specs
Scottmoose designed the cabinets.

How hard is anyone driving them?

I find they sound a bit closed and lacking in the high end until you give them a little juice. The bass is fine, even for a big woofer guy like me. It is better than expected from a 4" driver. I may end up putting a tweeter on the back, we'll see. Others may not need that extra top end but I like it.

Thanks everyone. That's what I wanted to hear. I had read that the round ports didn't work as well for these drivers. It will cause me to change course a little but that's ok I think i'm going to try the markel70's. I've just got to hear them now. A little extra time in the shop is not necessarily a bad thing.

One last thing how much is a little juice? How hard could these be driven in these enclosures usefully? Are we talking 30wpc?

I ask about the wattage because I've really become enamored with these "T" amps for this project and while I understand that headroom is a good thing I want enough power to fully utilize the capabilities of the speakers without worrying about a volume control mishap....

I can't hear the upper stuff anyways. One of the reasons I like what I read about the EL70's is that they are fairly balanced and designed to address some of the inherent issues with fullrange speakers. BTW I'm working on a final desicion on which amp over at 41hz and thanks to them and you guys I'll be set. Dave from looking at those plans, when I actually get some wood cut I might have a question or two so thanks in advance...

Lou

I have done a lot of listening. I am satisfied these are a good driver.
They will not replace larger speaker systems but I have no hesitation recommending this driver in this cabinet to anyone who is familiar with the limitations of a 4" FR driver.

They are a lot of fun to listen to. They put a smile on my face bigger than a 4" driver should.

Good work to all who had a hand in this project.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 278
O.K. - There are 3 Mark Audio paper drivers within a few dollars of each other - el70, chp70 and alpair6p. I want to use some in a f.a.s.t. with el166s. Initially they'll be driven by a Yamaha htr (but not for movies) but that could be upgraded at a future date. I would think the alpairs would be the top choice but I'm looking for input from those that have heard all three since I haven't heard any of them. Thanks, Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.