Jordan Watts Modular Speakers 40W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Don't know if I am in the right section of the forums or not.
I have a pair of Jordan Watts Modular 40W (peak) speakers which my brother purchased in the mid to late 1970's.

I have no idea on how to test these but have checked coil continuity, connected to a portable radio external speaker outputs, and they work fine.

He had big plans for these, then the kids came along and put a slowdown on things. He unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. He never got round to using them.

I have no real use for them and not much idea of the value, but assume they are quite collectable.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have posted some hi-res photos on Photobucket Jordan Watts pictures by GW0LDZ - Photobucket

TIA - Bernard

Hi
Don't know if I am in the right section of the forums or not.
I have a pair of Jordan Watts Modular 40W (peak) speakers which my brother purchased in the mid to late 1970's.

I have no idea on how to test these but have checked coil continuity, connected to a portable radio external speaker outputs, and they work fine.

He had big plans for these, then the kids came along and put a slowdown on things. He unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. He never got round to using them.

I have no real use for them and not much idea of the value, but assume they are quite collectable.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have posted some hi-res photos on Photobucket Jordan Watts pictures by GW0LDZ - Photobucket

TIA - Bernard
Big plans, slowdown, never got around.....reminds me of something....

Wow, this are real oldies and speaker history. Your`re right, this are collectors items and when You want to sell them Your best bet would be to put them on ebay.
Maybe they`ll find their way in a nice showcase somewhere around the world or even somebody might put them to use again (I don`t know if after all that time they`d be still usable).

Is it just 2 pics? what was your brother intending to do with them?

I assume these are metal coned full range units. Look a bit sorry to me.

Are these active speakers i.e is that a mains lead sticking out of one of them?

Metal cones, yes. Fullrange not quite if I remember correctly.

Not active, it´s a dampened die cast housing / frame, the leads are not main leads, they`re for the voice-coil. In that sense they are no "speakers", they are speaker chassis, they still do need an enclosure.

For almost 40 years they do look quite fine, what did you expect they look like?:)

I have a pair in a bookshelf Bass Reflex enclosure which I still use occaisonally, and they can still compete well with modern units. The treble is not as extended, but a small tweeter fixes that. There is a lot of info available on the web.
Yes, they are collectable, but also quite usable.
Just be aware that the suspension is by radial wire, and with rough treatment can shift. Recentering is then necessary, which takes great care and paitence.

Not active

Is it just 2 pics? what was your brother intending to do with them?

I assume these are metal coned full range units. Look a bit sorry to me.

Are these active speakers i.e is that a mains lead sticking out of one of them?

The leads are the speaker coils.
Not been rough handled, just came out of original polystyrene packing.
Would I be better off using them as doorstops ?

They look fine to me. If you don't want them, some one will buy them at a good price.
If the sound ok on music, ie no sibulance or harshness, they should be good. However without an enclosure there will be little bass. Note they are designed for reasonable listening levels, not heavy rock.
A further test you can do is to check for proper cone centering by VERY GENTLY with two fingers (one on each side of the cone very near the edge) press gently inwards so the cone moves a few mm, and listen for scraping. Do not distort the cone- it is fragile.Do not push hard, or make the cone move more than two or three mm.
No scraping means cone is centered ok.
I have enclosure designs if you are interested.

They're intended for full range use, with an additional tweeter in some cases. The tweeter was rolled in at about 5kHz and the module allowed to run full range. The JX92S is the modern version with better power handling and more extended HF.

This company's Vivide model now uses the same idea but with the JX92

http://www.acousticinsight.co.uk/

They were available in a number of versions over the years and were available as 4, 8 or 16 ohm. The latter, I presume, either for valve amps or to allow use in parallel for more output.

Highly collectable - a 'new old stock' pair went on eBay a week ago for over £400 !

Hope that helps.

I'm very surprised that these can reach £400. Usually in the UK they come up regularly and go pretty cheap on ebay in the cabinets they were usually found in - like even under £100 for a pair of speakers. Since you can buy new versions for around £250 a pair, which are considerably improved, it seems a little crazy to buy a deleted model, particularly since age will sometimes take its toll on various parts of the units. Unlike SME arms and such, speakers are vulnerable to deterioration.

Andy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The guy with the big bucks must have been a collector with money to burn (must have been at least 2 of them).

I imported a pair of those Jordan Watts modules from Wilmslow in 1975.

These are quite "colourful" and as Colin says weak on the top end. Pretty amazing for the day. I was recently offered 4 of these for $100. Turned the offer down.

These are probably better all round http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...s3-193-4a-3-extended-range-4-ohm-silver-cone/

dave

These are probably better all round http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-silver-cone/

Cute little units! Have you heard them? May be useful in multiples or arrays?

A cheaper JX92 clone is the Monacor SPH-130AL. Not bad at all - I used them happily for years. The Visaton AL130 clone is very similar, and all roughly the same size and build - pretty much drop-ins for each other. Tempting to use either of those in a bipole.

Andy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have you heard them? May be useful in multiples or arrays?

Yes. Quite good, their biggest failing seeming to be a bit undynamic.

We are working on an array using the Fountek FR88ex, i'll let you know how i feel about arrays once done. It is a step up from the Aura (but with the hike in Neo prices have pushed themselves up into FF85wk & Alpair6 territory and made it a LOT harder to be competitive price wise)

dave

I've got six! These and two spares. I'm rich!

Cheers, Steve

That this one auction ended with such a result doesn`t mean that You will yield something only remotely similar automatically (not even when Your`s would be in better condition).
Ebay is a wierd place where all sorts of things can and do happen all the time. One time You get 500, next time only 50, for the same thing.
£467 is IMO really insane and You need at least two completely crazy bidders (or "a little help of some friends".....) to reach such a price.
Anyway, I wish You good luck!

I have gradually been updating my web page on the Jordan Watts Modular loudspeaker. For any of you interested in this driver, I think you will find some very useful information on my Jordan Watts page.

IMGP3706-XL.jpg

In my opinion, this is easily the best wide band driver that has appeared to date. There are of course some remaining problems.

I think the time has come to apply modern manufacturing techniques to this driver, to address the problems and increase power handling.

I think it is capable of development into a powerful very wide band mid range driver.

I would be very interested to know if there is enthusiasm for this.

I haven't heard the original module for a long time, but recently had both the JX92 and the Mark Audio Aplair 10 in the same 21 litre MLTL enclosure.

The Alpair 10 absolutely destroys the Jordan - smoother, better bass and all-round much more musical. I got really tired of the JX92 - hard sounding upper mids got on my nerves. Amp was a 300b SET of good quality. Happy with the Alpair 10 and would absolutely not have another JX92 in my system.

Madisound has these currently for $110. At that price I wouldn't hesitate for a second. One observation - the cone is very delicate and must absolutely not be touched by anything. I put a small ding in mine just with the end of a piece of wire! Didn't affect the sound at all.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...&mode=search&search_in=name&search_str=alpair

andy

Last edited:
No doubt the module deserved its acclaim as "state of the art wide-band" when introduced over 40yrs ago, but time has moved on.

Without getting into the ongoing politics :xfingers:, both Ted and Mark Fenlon have spent considerable time advancing well beyond that point, and while I've not heard the most recent "official Jordans", the current Alpairs are very special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.