• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin Tube Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering the purchase of a Yaqin Tube amplifier however I am not sure which one to purchase. It seems that for the most part the reviews on the different models are all good. The amplifier I purchase will be driving a pair of Klipshorn speakers.

I really like the MS 300b, however I am also pondering the MC100b,MS-2A3 and the MC 10L. Power should not be an issue since the KHorns don't require that much.

This will be my first tube amplifier, I'm thinking to buy MC-10L since it's inexpensive, and get familiar with the brand. I do like the looks of the MS300b and I've read good things about it.

I would like to hear suggestions .

Thanks,

Rick

I am considering the purchase of a Yaqin Tube amplifier however I am not sure which one to purchase. It seems that for the most part the reviews on the different models are all good. The amplifier I purchase will be driving a pair of Klipshorn speakers.

I really like the MS 300b, however I am also pondering the MC100b,MS-2A3 and the MC 10L. Power should not be an issue since the KHorns don't require that much.

This will be my first tube amplifier, I'm thinking to buy MC-10L since it's inexpensive, and get familiar with the brand. I do like the looks of the MS300b and I've read good things about it.

I would like to hear suggestions .

Thanks,

Rick

Yup have a MC100b suggest finding a local builder and get one made for you. Sounds OK when it works... nuf said.

Cheers,

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The MC 10L is the one to go for . . . . I have one for my self
and I have nothing to complain for . . .

The MC100b and MS-2A3 have nothing to do whit MC 10L
exept for the same maker . . .

I've not seen the 2A3 amp, but between the SE 300B, the PP KT88 and the PP EL34 i would choose the last. It was the best sounding, the easiest to mod. Also the one Joe Rasmussun choose as a donor for his "budget" tube amp.

dave

I have the MC100b and the MC10L and have a 300b from another Chinese brand. I liked the 300b the most, dead quiet, smooth silky sound but could not muster anything with my ESLs so I sold that. The MC100b I have had for over 9 months and had no problems with and does well driving my ML Quest Z panels with Haflers driving the woofers. Just got a MC10L brand spanking new last week and had played it 5 hours or so with the MLs. The midrange is better than the MC100b but the high end is not as extended on the MLs. You might find different results on your khorns though plus the amp still needs to be broken in.

I also have a tube CD player (Bada HD-19) that I would rate almost as good as my Rega Apollo (in sound but not in looks) and a Yaqin MS12B that eventually lost out to a vintage Sony TA-E88B as my pre-amp due to higher noise and less soundstage precision.

Even though I am an electrical engineer by trade, I am not a tube design expert so I will not comment on the any of the circuit designs but I would say the components are good quality, layout is good and the build quality is overall good but is sloppy in the last 10% detailed finish. I am generally satisfied with the performance / $ ratio, which explains my expanding Chinese tube gear portfolio. That said, if anyone would like a mint Yaqin MS12B or MC10L let me know...

Purchased one of the early MC10L's in 2005 and still in love with it. Never had any problems and I find the top end very good and the sound stage is excellent. Personally I would have liked just a teeny weeny bit extra in the mid range but all of my tests reveal that the amp is essentially flat across the expected audio range. However Vinyl's play fantastic through it so I think attention should be applied to other things like signal sources/matching and the speakers. You can't blame the amp if the deficiencies are elsewhere. At the end of the day, accept that we all hear sounds differently, our ears are not matched to within +/- 1dB across the worlds population and one should settle for what one likes and enjoys. I run the Yaqin into Tannoy 6's, not the most expensive or endeared speakers for some but I love the sound of the dual concentric drivers and I am very very satisfied with what I have.
Les

I have a MC 10K (6AS7G tubes), I'm very happy with his sound (Much better triode sound than other famous and very expensive brands), but in the original status, the amp will broke in a couple of months (Underpowered resistors and some with wrong values) (I did some modifications on my unit). My advice is be careful with Yaqin, but if you have problems you can fix it or upgrade the machine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No adjustment, the power supplies in each amp are made for one voltage.

I have never seen inside other Yaqin models, but for the MC-10Lc the build quality has a lot to be desired.

The best things in the MC-10LC are the transformers, not the greatest, but they were good enough for us to use them when rebuilding with a new circuit.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Having said what I did above, I must add that I bought one and after a few mods (Triode strapping, severing the GNFB, replacement of caps and resistor in the signal path and inputs directly to the volume pot) it was sounding pretty nice to my ears.

This is just my ears in my system, and I can understand that a lot of people enjoy this amp in It's stock form, and for the $$$ It's a great place to enter the world of tubes/valves.

But make sure you get one with a power supply that is suited to your mains.

Hi rdowdall

For the last couple of weeks i am evaluating Yaqin amps and preamps for an e shop that I am involved, in order to decide if we can resell them without problems.
( I run an audio repair shop and sometimes I do that kind of evaluation for me and co-operating companies.)
I found Yaqin amps to be nice created, with decent parts and good sound quality for their price.
So I would say to you the same thing that I decided for myself: go with them.

To be more model specific:

The MS300C is my personal favorite Yaqin : a nice sounding amp that has good timbre and a nice frequency response but like every 300B amp, got only 8,5 watts per channel. If you are into classical, vocal or jazz then you can have a nice, open, sweet “image” without power weakness in normal levels but don’t get the MS300C if you are into electronic music or loud rock! I know that your KHorns are sensitive but I am not familiar with them, that’s why I wrote this.

As second best and a very nice introduction to tubes, I see the MC10T that has lots of power and can drive any normal speaker to loud levels. Here you got a little less extend in treble but you can make a (small!) party with him if you like. Due to its power he can play loud any kind of music while giving you a rich and smooth sound . I found also that the MC10T is already a beloved amp to a lot of upgraders.

Both of them are begging for upgrades, tube rolling etc. You can get much better sound upgrading them so keep that option in your mind for later.

I was thinking to start a thread about Yaqin with more details, but I have to talk with a mod first, I don’t want that to seem as self advertising.

Hope that i helped

Panos

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No adjustment, the power supplies in each amp are made for one voltage.

I have never seen inside other Yaqin models, but for the MC-10Lc the build quality has a lot to be desired.
ooops!

Where I say " but for the MC-10Lc the build quality has a lot to be desired" is not as I intended it to read, I meant it to read as " but for the MC-10Lc the build quality leaves a lot to be desired"

In other words, the build quality is not very good in my view, and I'm being kind in wording it that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.