How best to implement digital active crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of setting up two digital active crossovers: (1) DCX2496 with passive transformer output, (2) Minidsp+minidigi (both with appropriate amps etc.).

The two pairs of loudspeakers I will use initially are Zaph's BAMTM and Martin King's fostex+eminence OB design. I understand that the standard approach is to replicate the passive crossover transfer function within the active crossover, which by necessity includes a healthy amount of EQ as well as crossover function (if you know what I mean).

As I'm able to employ REW with the Minidsp+minidigi, would it make sense to set the basic crossover points (ignoring the transfer function eq for each driver) and then let REW calculate system EQ? I don't see the point in implementing a 'standard' eq on the drivers before running REW on the system.

Also, if designing a new loudspeaker system, what are the disadvantages of employing a high order digital active crossover (eg. 48dB LR)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.