need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am using my playstation3 as a source to my hifi system not entirely happy with the sound of the converted mp3s wondering if i would be better off using the optical output to a dac
i am running an integrated tube amplifier which sounds better using other sources
wondering if it is the limitations of the mp3 codecs or whether there is a dac i could get to get better sound
any ideas of which dacs are appropriate or any other info would be appreciated thanks
was also considering passing the ps3 output through an adcom preamp to see how that effects the sound but i fear it wont bide well given the likely cheap nature of the ps3s included converter and being limited by the rca cables used from the ps3 which are upgraded slightly but still not audiophile cables by any means
i want a warmer sound and am finding the current source to be harsh in the upper registers more than anything else

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
First of all, the PS3 is not a great source. A computer (PC or MAC) would be miles ahead.

Second, compressed audio is never going to sound great, rip to WAV or at the very least FLAC if you want a better sound. A good DAC will just revile more of how bad the MP3's are.

If you can, WAV or Flac for a format, played back via a software media player like cPlay..... Computer > DAC > Amp.

All the best :)

Edit:for a affordable good sounding DAC, look here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a.html

Last edited:
ouch thats bad news i have a ton of mp3s and not about to get several tbs of space to convert them
is there any way to "improve" my sound?
also dont see a feasable way to get a decent sound source to amp from my laptop as i am sure its a rinky dink sound card and the phono to rca cables i have seen are cheap at best

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Converting them is no good anyway, once the information is removed (as is the case with the likes of MP3 compression) it is gone.
You would need to rip from the CD's again.

A DAC with USB will serve as converter from the laptop to amp.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Last edited:
mkay just curious with using reasonable (192bit) quality mp3s the sound should certainly be passable and variation from wave shouldnt be too bad
i do get better sound even playing from an ipod using the output cable
is the ps3 affecting the sound in some way possibly my settings on it

so i did some more research it looks like there is no converter in a ps3 and it uses software to convert digital signals
seems to me a dac could help if i ran the digital signal via optical cable to be processed by a better piece of equipment
bear in mind i am not looking for perfection just improved sound for my ps3 2 channel setup since its a very easy way to listen to music
or perhaps there is a better media server i could get at a reasonable price???

Hello Iceage,

The MP3 format is a compression type that drops part of the music you are not supposed to hear. From my point of view, it also drops the part of the music you feel and listening a mp3 on a descent hifi system sounds just flat. There is no way to create again the information that had been lost.

greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.