Help setting up for hi rez system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At a stage where i am very happy with my analogue setup i am now lookin to build a DAC.
I will probably buy a 13"macbook pro to use.

Do i need a USB to SPDIF for best results? Is the thunderbolt technology any use?

What are a few available kit or PCB's available for a high end DAC
Happy with SMD, a kit is always easier but not essential.

Hey Mate, sorry i havent answered your pm yet, ive had a really crazy week with a few issues i have to sort out at work, so havent had a lot of spare time. have you still got my email addy? easier than pm here.

thunderbolt hasnt been put into use in any dedicated way as yet and you would have to be using some crazy high bandwidth audio to even scratch the surface of its 10gb/ps capabilities; even the most hardcore multichannel digital crossover with linearrays and room correction wouldnt get close.

for best results you should use usb->i2s, not spdif, this requires a dac that either has i2s in (most kits will allow this), or is easily modified to allow it.

are you looking to have a digital crossover?

i'm going to throw the ackodac kits out there as a suggestion, i've found it excellent and Acko is an Aussie, so support is good. you would probably want to go for another IV stage than his as although his is an excellent opamp implementation, i'm not sure thats your style. i'm using opc's D1 implementation for IV, which is a simple class A mosfet based design and it sounds superb!!. i'm running titan for hirez multichannel usb->i2s, not generally available to the public as yet I dont think. it comes with native mac drivers that will allow 4 channel 32 bit/384khz, or 8 x 32/192

anyway shoot me an email and we'll go from there, perhaps you could give me a call, but i'm not gonna post my phone number here hehe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.