Dynaco clone with SEAS Exotic T35 tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ve been facinated with the Dynaco a25 for a very long time, and I´ve been on the verge of starting construction of WD25x many times these last years.

Finally I´ve made a build like this my next project, so I´m now in the process of gattering information. I would probably be using the T25CF002 tweeter, but I´m also contemplating how the Exotic T35 would fit into the mix. The original a25 did use an 35mm tweeter, after all.
Yes, the Exotic tweeter is expensive, but not that much more than the Millennium.

Any opinions on this subject would be much appreciated.

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/ex...exotic-t35.pdf

Last edited:
Latest edition of Hobby Hifi prooved incredibly good measurements for the T35 (FR, CSD and distortion numbers). It is also very easy to integrate into a waveduide, since the original faceplate has a flat back surface (I've opened mine to check). It should therefore be an easy thing to let the T35 cover 1-1,2kHz flat up.

Cheers

Yep, that´s the one.

T35 should be a good match, but from what I read T25CF002 also does a great job, plus it´s well documented.

I would not select the A26 for an application with the T35. In my opinion the T35 deserves matching with a high quality high efficiency midbass.
Honestly, I can't find a reason for using the A26 for any application looking at the T/S data alone - must add that I have never listened to it.
Picking a midbass with a sensitivity of 95/96dB+ would make sense when concidering a -6dB baffle step.

I agree that it's probably not the ideal driver (by today's standards) for the expensive T35, but I'm in now way planing on gluing the drivers to the baffle...

The Millennium tweeter is a great tweeter, but it's priced so close to T35 (which is a driver I'd like to test in other settings, in time) that it's hard to justify not spending that little extra.

I'm not contemplating on building a Dynaco a25 clone thinking is the ultimate loudspeaker, but to get experience with older designs and their pros/cons. I'd like to experience a remake of a legend. One of the cons is definitely that it's not all that efficient. It is however designed to sit close to the back wall, thus not taken down too much in sensitivity.
One of my ideas is to make a stand mounted speaker based on the 'dual compartment cabinet' of the WD25t. This would mean a wider baffle and some tinkering with the crossover.

Also, any recommendations of (wortfor of the T35) 10" drivers suitable for a 2-way, that's both efficient and does a great job in an aperiodic enclosure, would be much appreciated. Recommendations for suitable 8" drivers would also be nice, but that's nowhere as hard to find.

Could be useful ?
Dynaco Enclosure Plans
The crossover is very simple.

Beautifully simple crossover, nothing on the woofer at all. I had a design in my head that incorporated that woofer (no crossover) to a big Heil amt with a simple crossover and l-pad like that.

As far as this project, that crossover is so simple it would only cost 20 bucks to build them and try it, it might be fun to have it on hand to play with :)

Unfortunately I haven't used it yet, but I will use it in a WG with a Jantzen JA8008 (+ woofers) that I also am the happy owner of :) Just have to finish an ongoing project first.
But... how about upscaling the system to make a type of Dynaco A50 clone? The A50 uses a 1,5" tweeter + 2 x 10" drivers. In a 2,5 way system you could maintain 90dB efficiency which is more fair to the T35 - and you would get 6dB more a the low end, which I believe would be welcome concidering the limited xmax of the A26. By the way, at first look Beyma 10BR60V2 seems to be a good alternative with better power handling capacity and larger xmax.
Then perhaps putting the tweeter into a 6-8" WG to get better control of the dispersion than the original Dynacos :cool:

I'd love to build an a50 clone, but it uses 16 Ohm drivers... As I'm using a 25 W tube amp I don't want the impedance too lower.

I won't start this project for awhile yet, as I'm still in building aperiodic 'BBC thin wall' cabinets for my Exotic full range drivers. I do however want to plan for a winter project :)

Yes, I´ve seen them. Unfortunately there are only two of them. Typical, because they could have been some nice candidates for a Dynaco a50 clone...

I´ve been doing some sketches of a cabinet in the style of Dynaco a35 today. It looks promising, but I must say I´m skeptical about such a low placement of the drivers. As the second chamber needs to be a bit larger than the one behind the driver, I cannot see a way around that problem.
That said, the center of the tweeter is only 5 cm lower than the center of my full range drivers in my current project, so it might not be an issue.

You have a good point, there might be more but that they are only sold in pairs. I'll check it out to be sure. "Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups", and all that...

They are only simple 3D sketches to verify volume and to better judge driver placement, no artsy drawings of retro speakers and how they would fit in my living room :eek:

Last edited:
I´ve been doing some sketches of a cabinet in the style of Dynaco a35 today. It looks promising, but I must say I´m skeptical about such a low placement of the drivers. As the second chamber needs to be a bit larger than the one behind the driver, I cannot see a way around that problem.
That said, the center of the tweeter is only 5 cm lower than the center of my full range drivers in my current project, so it might not be an issue.
I'm not sure If I understand you correct here, but could you not arrange the drivers as you like and then make the second chamber behind the first? Sketch would help ;-)

As I´d like to keep the tweeter on top, the only option left would be to have the woofer in the lower chamber (or seriously remodel the cabinet).

Attached is a cabinet drawing of Dynaco a35. The horizontal brace features the aperiodic port, that vents into the upper chamber.

As I suspected dynaBel only had the one pair of 12 Ohm CA26RE4X, but now I know. It was worth a try, though. I could perhaps have used it to make a 2,5-way speaker, but somehow it seems like a bad idea.

Which wave guide do you plan on using with the Exotic T35, the same one as Troels uses with TW034?

Attachments

• dyna-A35-plans.gif
    dyna-A35-plans.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,188
As I´d like to keep the tweeter on top, the only option left would be to have the woofer in the lower chamber (or seriously remodel the cabinet).

Attached is a cabinet drawing of Dynaco a35. The horizontal brace features the aperiodic port, that vents into the upper chamber.
There shouldn't be a awfull lot of work to rearrange the chambers, so that the upper chamber is placed behing the first... I mean if you concider moving the drivers upwards on the baffle, then the original A35 design is altered anyway ;)

Which wave guide do you plan on using with the Exotic T35, the same one as Troels uses with TW034?
Unfortunately Troels' waveguide is 1,5-2mm too wide in the throat compared to the 41,5mm that T35 requires. Therefore I will use a 10" EOSWG... ok, it will ask Jacek at Horns.pl to make it for me :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.