ground loop breaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a P3A amp and was having problems with ground loops, so between the amp's signal and power grounds and the earth ground I place a loop breaker consisting of two diodes in parallel in opposite directions and a 10 ohm resistor. This greatly reduced the ground loop, but I can still hear it- are there any other adaptions I can make to further reduce the effects? I was thinking about upping the size of the resistor, removing the resistor, or maybe even trying to add a simple RC low-pass filter designed to reject frequencies at and above 60Hz between the signal and earth grounds.

Thanks alot.

Brian.

Attachments

• groundloop.jpg
    groundloop.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 811
Hi

You could try increasing the value of the resistor - although I wouldn't leave it out altogether. In one design I saw a 100 ohm part used; as long as you keep the diodes any value is safe to try. Many designs also use a 100nF mains rated capacitor in parallel with the other components to bypass the resistor at high frequencies.

Hope this helps,
Tim.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.