recording questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

A mate and I are working on a project which requires some ambient music.

Thus far we are using an MD to record, [using two hacked up mics spaced ~10feet apart hooked up to one input for stereo sound] and then recorded onto PC using Creative Wave Lab (similar to SoundForge, or so I have heard]

Now, a few questions:

1. Is there a better way of recording this ambience other than an MD? Are we loosing quality by using an MD?

2. Once on the computer, we would like to hack it up, re order it, add a mellow back beat and what not. What software would be best for this? I hear a lot about reason, is this the right software for the job?

3. Do you have any reccomendations on Microphones? We are using really cheap mics at the moment, I _KNOW_ we can get better quality mics :)

4. Is there any other gear that would make our lives easier?

5. I have a SB Live, would we benifit from a better sound card?

This project is fairly long term so we figure investing in some decent gear is worth while, so don't be shy to mention some decent gear BUT note that we are both only working part time due to UNI and TAFE so yeah, not million dollar stuff :)

Thanks

As far as I know MD achieves data compression by throwing away ambient information, so therefore I expect that you are losing ambient sounds this way.

Take a look at Majix Samplitude audio editor software - 3 month trial, and after 3 months just reinstall it !.
Of course if you use it commercially you need to go legitimate.

Better microphones are the key to good recordings - your initial capture needs to be good to sound good, elsewise it will always sound bad despite what you do in post production.
Condensor mics are best but are expensive.

SB Live is ok, but not high end.
M-Audio.com have a large range of well regarded soundcards and accessories.

Eric.

Ditto what Eric said, plus there is an 8 input soundcard with breakout box that was sold by Guillermot called the Isis or something similar. They show up on ebay all the time, often NIB and they're very good sounding.

But get some good mikes too. Again, try ebay or you could contact me as I have about a dozen laying about (im in NSW).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.