Need ideas for finish on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm really at a loss as to how I want to finish these. I still have some cleanup to do on them before I finish, but I'll be ordering supplies soon. What should I do? I was thinking bamboo veneer and then piano black baffle. Piano black all around looks great too. I'd like to stick with a contemporary design. So post ye suggestions or pics of neat designs! Thanks!

Photo_B6CBBAD9-4638-7FB9-B70D-B95AB54365B5.jpg

A high glose olive colour would look realy retro and fit the decor, maybe with a brown speckle in...

If I may add a hint for future reference, when you are finished glueing and clamping, use a moist rag to clean up glue spills, it is so much easier than dealing with it after it dried.

Laminates

I'm really at a loss as to how I want to finish these. I still have some cleanup to do on them before I finish, but I'll be ordering supplies soon. What should I do? I was thinking bamboo veneer and then piano black baffle. Piano black all around looks great too. I'd like to stick with a contemporary design. So post ye suggestions or pics of neat designs! Thanks!

Photo_B6CBBAD9-4638-7FB9-B70D-B95AB54365B5.jpg

Explore their use here:
Wilsonart Contract Portfolio
Regards
WHG

After probing the troelsgravesen site, I have found two designs I really like. Only trouble is I have no idea where to find a painted white oak veneer as is used in the first picture. The grey simply looks clean and modern, which I really like as well. Which to choose? I'm not sure how hard it would be to get an even matte finish of grey. I've tried black before, and it is a royal pita.

3wcl-andrew-5_edited-1.jpg
3W_bjorn_1.jpg

You can get grey adhesive vinyl from a hardware store. How about edging the front with iron on veneer, same as what you would use for kitchen doors. Then use a matching veneer for the sides.
To get a whitewash oak finish you can simply sand with v fine sandpaper, add a small amount of white pigment to an acrylic varnish and apply a couple of even coats (do a test patch first),

You can get grey adhesive vinyl from a hardware store. How about edging the front with iron on veneer, same as what you would use for kitchen doors. Then use a matching veneer for the sides.
To get a whitewash oak finish you can simply sand with v fine sandpaper, add a small amount of white pigment to an acrylic varnish and apply a couple of even coats (do a test patch first),

So I'm definitely going with a matte vinyl. However, what color would you go with, matte white or matte black? Just looking for knee jerk opinions, nothing special here. Keep in mind that they're going in a college dorm room so it's not like everything is going to be matching anyway.

well, if you're going vinyl might as well show mine..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Obviously the back view. I out a thin rubber layer underneath, so it then has a give to it rather than a hard feel.

You'd have to figure out how to do the front and back baffles, tho with straight 'glue on' not as much of a problem.

You'd have to have a look at the store bought stuff, you may find that any cut has a 'white back' to it...which might be handled by black texta or somesuch.

well, if you're going vinyl might as well show mine..

frank2.jpg

Obviously the back view. I out a thin rubber layer underneath, so it then has a give to it rather than a hard feel.

You'd have to figure out how to do the front and back baffles, tho with straight 'glue on' not as much of a problem.

You'd have to have a look at the store bought stuff, you may find that any cut has a 'white back' to it...which might be handled by black texta or somesuch.

I'm planning on using automotive vinyl that is used to wrap cars. Is this the right stuff?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here's gray spray primer over the original wood-textured vinyl. It gives a very rich satin gray finish on most surfaces. And it's sandable, so you can build it up to cover flaws.

Attachments

• Loudfreeker1 1M.jpg
    Loudfreeker1 1M.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
hi frosteh

look mate, dunno if it is the same. I got mine from any type of furniture place. It has a white cloth type backing, hence my 'warning'.

In my case, it was simple to fit behind a detachable baffle, yours is more difficult to hide the edges. It may require some creative thinking on your part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.