Anybody got a good design for a JBL D130?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a cabinet that makes the most out of this speaker, for guitar. It is a D130 and at 16 ohms, 15 inch in case you don't already know it. Supposedly functionally very similar to the 2135, specs here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2135/page2.jpg

This speaker will be driven by a PP 6V6 amp at about 18 watts, and it will predominantly be used "clean".

Thanks in advance for any information or help you might have. I do like the idea of this Standel cab Cabinet for Fender Sig Model D130F, like to build - The Gear Page
but I've not been able to find any information on it.

Thanks Kevin, I have done that and also read through their interesting thread. I'm not dead-set on a Standel type cab, though. Just looking for info, primarily how to best use the speaker for a clean approach that would allow the most "forgiveness" for coloration from effects.

However, that thread may have convinced me to build a 25L15 clone/derivative! So thanks again for that!

-Jeff

D130's ROCK

JBL D130s are superb loudspeakers for clean-sounding electric guitar!!!

You can decide what cabinet design you want based on the guitar sound you want.

You say you want clean? How much bass, aka bottom, do you want?

A D130 in an open back cabinet can sound GREAT on clean guitar!

Do you want super clean Fender or something more bassy Jazz sounding? If you want more Jazz, go with a closed back cabinet or ported design.

You can change the sound and design based on how it sounds to you after it's working. Put it in an open back and play through it. If you want more bottom, put a back on it. Make it at least 13" deep in case you want to close it up. Want more bass? Port it for 50 hz.

Make it bigger than the minimum size it takes to mount the speaker on the front. It'll be great!!!!!

Thanks for the reply Mr. Coffee!

I guess I was going for Clean, possibly ported or front vented. I'd rather turn those bass waves around and have them join the front of the speaker, even if they are a cycle behind.

However, this project will not be for me, and there's not necessarily much budget for R&D, so I was shooting for some "here's a plan that I tried, and it works great" sort of input. Its easy to find hi-fi plans for this driver, but for instrument usage I've yet to see something more elaborate than an open backed design that had any kind of construction detail.

Got any?:scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.