6 amp circuit one power supply unit advantages/disadvantages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i have 6 amp circuit 200w into 8 ohms and want to use one transfromer(1500va) 20000uf of capacitors .here the thing if i were to use these amp in a tri amp design(2 highs /2 mids /2 lows) would there be any audio problems as a result of using one power supply unit

Have a look at the coupling possibilities between channels and then you'll know. Assuming good grounding usually the limiting factor is supply ripple---at typical listening levels ripple is usually dominated by the amp's quiescent draw and the control loop's PSRR isn't always high enough to deliver a good SnR on the output due to the relatively low ratio of output to idle power. If that's the case for your amp then the corner of interest is likely to be with five of the channels as aggressors and one tweeter as the victim. Output power depends on driver efficiencies, crossover points, and listening configuration but for a typical triamp 1mW per mid and low and 100uW per tweeter is a reasonable starting point.

Given good parts choices and layout an op amp based control loop running off regulators usually has sufficient PSRR margin a common supply's fine. Differential topologies make this easiesr. If you're doing discrete control and unbalanced, well, that's harder.

Last edited:
I built a 6-ch pa with layout as follows:-

I I
I O I
I I

ie txmf in middle with 3 amps on sinks either side.

Screening of the trmr is very important, including ac wiring to rects.
I used 1 rect 2 caps for each channel.
The amps driver ccts were fed by regulated supplys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.