• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm adding a power switch to a homemade 50's tube amp. What type of switch should I use?
Where can I get one?
How should I wire it, inregards to the power cord and transformer...

Also, The output plug is a bakelite plug about 1 inch in diameter. It has 4 lugs on it. I can identify which is the ground, but all of them share a connection somewhere as tested with my multimeter. Strange thing is that it had 2 wires soldered to 2 of the lugs, one being the ground and together they work as an output.
What are the other 2 lugs?
Can I simply use them as a 2nd output?

Skankadellic said:
I'm adding a power switch to a homemade 50's tube amp. What type of switch should I use?
Where can I get one?
How should I wire it, inregards to the power cord and transformer...

Also, The output plug is a bakelite plug about 1 inch in diameter. It has 4 lugs on it. I can identify which is the ground, but all of them share a connection somewhere as tested with my multimeter. Strange thing is that it had 2 wires soldered to 2 of the lugs, one being the ground and together they work as an output.
What are the other 2 lugs?
Can I simply use them as a 2nd output?

Exuse me, I don`t understood.Is there plug for headphone or speakers?.Wy you need ground have you ballanced output, maybe?
Miroslav

In your mains lead to the amp, you will have "active", "neutral" and maybe earth (if you have three pin plugs).

For a power switch, just put a switch in the "active" line, on the amp. It will be labelled on the socket, especially if you use an IEC (computer type) power socket. You should also put a 0.5 to 1A fuse between the active and the switch, if there isn't one.

The output on a tube amp is from a transformer, is it a stereo or mono amp? You will measure a low resistance on a multimeter because the secondary of thetransformer has quite thick wire.

Post pics and we can help more. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a technician :D There are scary voltages (300V +) inside a tube amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.