remote cotrol volume preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Hi, currently I am looking for an affordable remote control channel select / volume control for my (tube) stereo power amp.

I found several sellers of this item:
PGA2311 preamp

Does anybody know whether this is good, or has experience with it?

Well, some years ago I used to make good money by removing a preamp based on the PGA23XX series of Chip's from Shanling Tube Amplifiers. No-one ever asked their money (and preamp PCB's) back.

I would suggest you avoid the PGA23XX series and their Cirrus Logic Analogs like HIV. Even the optical volumecontrols are loads better (their very high THD not withstanding), best guess at a budget would be something with a motorised Alps Blue (make sure you get a real one not Cflps)...

There are remote control kits for Elma and other stepped attenuators as well, these would be an even better solution.

Ciao T

Hi,

No real experience with it, but the design looks very cheap. Usually it is not recommended to have the PGA2311 without an input and output buffer.

I usually do not recommend having it with these buffers either...

Honestly, a $1 US Alpha Pot is a better choice by a long stretch.

But if anyone must use it, the PGA23XX series have on board Op-Amp's.

So unless you must drive very low impedance loads an output buffer has no use. If all your sources have reasonably low output impedance, an input buffer also has little use.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.