Marantz PM30 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My trusty old PM 30 blew its internal fuse recently. I replaced it and it blew again, but I noticed one big double resistor - a RGC33 .18oh in the power amp was hot.

Now I'm not an electronics expert but a hobby fixer with a soldering iron and multimeter - I can identify components on a schematic and change them but deep techspeak is going to be over my head. I have got a schematic of this amp.

How far is the damage likely to have gone - and do I stand a chance of identifying and fixing it? I really want that amp back working again!

It probably has a blown (shorted) transistor, either directly on the output or the one driving it is blown or just got leaky over time. You could try testing with a current limiting device like a light bulb in series and measure output, but don't blame me if you electrocute yourself. ;) I mean be careful working with a live amp.

Otherwise you can desolder and pull the transistors out and test them. On the following webpage is a basic description of doing so, about 2/5ths of the way down the page:
Testing Transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.