this is why auido voodoo actually works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought this was an interesting article:

Scientists Develop Echolocation In Humans To Aid The Blind

As this link may not survive the tests of time I'll quote a few pieces below (I think that's allowed as an editorial). The key take-away here is that our hearing + brain is amazing and we may very well be able to hear the affect of placing a wooden block on top of a speaker despite the fact that it appears to be all voodoo.

quotes:

Some blind people had previously taught themselves how to use echolocation “by trial and error”.

The researcher says that palate clicks “are very similar to the sounds made by dolphins

However, no special physical skills are required in order to develop this skill. “Two hours per day for a couple of weeks are enough to distinguish whether you have an object in front of you, and within another two weeks you can tell the difference between trees and a pavement”

the researchers started out by being able to tell if there was someone standing in front of them, but now can detect certain internal structures, such as bones, and even “certain objects inside a bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.