open baffles maintain better tonal balance in adjacent rooms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd have to say I'd agree.

But it's not limited to open baffle. I've noticed when the radiation of a speaker becomes more omnipolar the sound becomes not just more real inside the room, but it still felt real on the other side of the house.
I'd have to contribute that to the even spread of energy across all frequencies instead of narrowing high frequencies with standard boxed speakers which has more chance of being absorbed than reflected out the door.
But I think this effect depends on several factors like the position of speakers and door openings, radiation pattern of the speakers at higher frequencies, room acoustics, etc.

I'm not clear if you prefer
- open baffles because of (As I suggest) better tonal balance in adjacent rooms - like The Gate you linked to, or
- omnipolar (as you suggest) it is more real inside the room, and still felt real on the other side of the house
?

I haven't heard a full omnipolar system, but I don't think it'll make a difference compared to an open baffle that maintains a full dipole pattern across all frequencies. Both will radiate even energy from low to high frequencies (in theory).
I keep crossover frequencies very low for that reason on my system.

I prefer my open baffle compared to boxed speakers and the activated Tannoys I used before, but I think compared to true omnipolars it's probably close call. The only thing I can imagine is the omnipolar having a hint of boxy sound. (I keep hearing that sound with boxed speakers ever since I went open baffle :))

I would restate the premise as "good open baffle speakers not only sound terrific in the sweet spot...they also spread the sweet spot around the listening room, into adjacent rooms and even down the hallway" I have an open floorplan house and sometimes listen from a comfortable chair two rooms (30+ feet) from my primary listening seat and behind my speakers.

a dipole is not that same as an omni. Dipoles have nulls in their output to the sides of the speakers. Just google "dipole radiation pattern." You'll get pictures to illustrate this. A true omni has the same response in every direction. And they're not necessarily boxy either. (Just take a look at one of mbl's larger speakers) If you want a speaker that sounds the same off axis as it does on, omni is that way to go. One of the reasons I don't run dipoles is that they do NOT sound the same when you're way off axis. They have other strong points, but this is certainly not one of them.

A well-designed dipole does have an off-axis frequency response that follows the on-axis response. See for example: http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2514/filex.jpg. My experience with dipoles is that they give more or less the same timbre throughout the room. So does an omnipole and even a conventional box-speaker (a well-designed one of course) has pretty much the same timbre throughout the room, although to a lesser extent than the former two. My latest build is a speaker with a horn/waveguide from 1 khz up. This speaker sounds cleanest when listened to on the sweet-spot, but it sounds less good throughout the room. From another room they sound even less lifelike.

Bottomline is that it probably all comes down to power-response. I think the flatter, the better it sounds from another room. But maybe an upward slope of the power-response sounds good too. But in reality, I really don't know, because I design my speakers to sound good in the room they are in, not outside of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.